Self leveling 60m2 - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to tile the downstairs floor. It is 60m2 over 2 rooms either side of a hallway. I have tiled walls and smaller floors before, but nothing on this scale. I am confident that I can do it, however I have a question regarding how to self level the area.

The floor is concrete and is in good condition. I was thinking of priming it with PVA and water and then pouring some self leveling compound over it, just to get rid of any bumps and dips and to make the tiling job easier. The way I am thinking of doing it is to screw a baton to the floor at the internal doorways of the first room that i do and then pour to a depth of around 3mm in to the room. Once dry I will remove the baton and then screw a baton in the other internal doorways of the hall, then pour into the hall, using the new level in the doorways of the first room done as the 'baton'. Then repeat this for the last room.

Does this seem OK? Or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
PVA isn't a suitable primer for tiling but I'm not too sure about for slc.

The baton idea sounds good and I personally can't think of a reason not to. But why not just use a thick bed adhesive to build up the dips? I'm using PTB Fibre for some bits at home sheer ly because of its rapid set even at 12 mm.

Personally, if the floors between rooms lead on I'd do the lot in one go. It sounds like a task but it's not that bad if a few of you are at it.

A good roller brush will help get it spread as close to even as possible but it'll never be 100% level. Most contractors will have a massive straight edge they lay across spots they think are high or low and they will either pour a bit more later or grind some down. Depending on the flooring finish. If it's just tiles you'll obviously get away with getting it spot on with the tile adhesive.

Forgot to mention. Depending on what screed you choose to use, most common known manufacturers will advise or make a primer for that product. Rather than PVA get a proper DPM primer.

Thanks for the advice. The PTB Fibre looks interesting. Is it easy to work with? The floor is pretty good, and has a screed over the concrete already.

Personally, if the floors between rooms lead on I'd do the lot in one go.
I don't think i could do whole lot in one go as I am on my own doing it, and I need rooms I am not working in to put stuff in from room I am working on. Thanks for Primer advice too.

Sponsored Links
Yeah the ptb fibre is a gem to use. Handy reference on the back for mixing and prep too. If the flooris relatively good then you could try pouring it? It is pourable after all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back