Self leveling compound for a garage floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a concrete garage floor. There are quite a few areas of damage and it’s uneven, so I’m hoping to put some self-leveling compound down to give it a cleaner look, which I can then paint and turn the place into a man cave.

Question is, what is the best product to use? My local b&q has sika latex compound, but it’s unclear if it can be used on a garage floor. The data sheet says it can’t be used as the final surface, but I don’t know if that means it needs to be painted, or needs a carpet etc on top of it.

The garage is a bit damp, as rain water tends to come in a bit. I previously had a rubber strip on the threshold which fixed the issue, but its not perfectly dry all the time. The rubber strip has been removed as we built an extension over the roof, and the garage has been emptied to do this, so it’s an opportunity to sort it out. I’ll stick in a new weather strip once the floor is done.

Traffic in the garage is light: no car is parked in there, just a motorbike and tool storage.

Any suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
A concrete floor is going to be pretty cold, especially in winter, and especially if there is no insulation in it. This I know because I spend part of my life working in unheated buildings with concrete floors.

Yes floor levelling compound is good for that. When it talks about it not being suitable as a finished floor - it’s because it sort of has a dusty finish so it’s not like a product like polished concrete. Paint it afterwards in a high gloss garage floor paint and it will look like a million dollars.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back