Self leveling compound too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After being let down by 3 tilers/builders and needing to move on with our kitchen project I decided to try to raise the floor level of our dining room floor to match the kitchen.

I didn't go well! The compound was mixed at the correct ratio of water/compound but was thick compared to others I have seen! It didn't level correctly now there are areas which are considerably higher than the kitchen floor. What do I do? Do I use a breaker and dig it all up, or hire a floor scraper and take the highs down??

Getting a bit fed up now, want someone to help but getting nowhere!

Sponsored Links
What thickness need to come off, couple of mm or more. Also how large an area?

Why is the kitchen floor (FFL) higher than the dining room FFL?

Sponsored Links
chip off the high areas and redo

its not that hard when fairly new

chip off the high areas and redo

its not that hard when fairly new

I had a chap round, he said that the time I would spend doing that and the dust they may aswell level to the highest point. He said it would raise the overall floor level by about 7mm. What do you think

I had a chap round, he said that the time I would spend doing that and the dust they may aswell level to the highest point. He said it would raise the overall floor level by about 7mm. What do you think
try chipping some off

hammer and a 1" wood chisel -I wouldnt be surprised once youve got a start it will start to come away from the concrete quite easily

try chipping some off

hammer and a 1" wood chisel -I wouldnt be surprised once youve got a start it will start to come away from the concrete quite easily

The problem is, it's not just a high spot, it;s a high area, so think an area of about 1000mm x 1000mm

why not have your post removed to flooring,
& ask crazydaze for an opinion?
see "Disaster levelling" thread in flooring.

Is your base a concrete slab?

You could hire a diamond grinder but it’s hard work. You near Colchester? You could try LT flooring as they could sort it out.

Looking at it again it isn't too bad if we are going over the tiles anyway the floor level across the whole area shouldn't increase too much to the highest point I made.

One of the issues I have now come across is the original screed is cracked along where an extension to the rear of the house was completed in the 1980s (steel sitting directly above) . There is a hollow sound to the concrete although it's thick. Do you think this relatively small area will be a problem if the floor is levelled over that area. It would appear the crack is historic and probably finished its settling by now.

u5TfAEf.jpg

Looking at it again it isn't too bad if we are going over the tiles anyway the floor level across the whole area shouldn't increase too much to the highest point I made.

One of the issues I have now come across is the original screed is cracked along where an extension to the rear of the house was completed in the 1980s (steel sitting directly above) . There is a hollow sound to the concrete although it's thick. Do you think this relatively small area will be a problem if the floor is levelled over that area. It would appear the crack is historic and probably finished its settling by now.

u5TfAEf.jpg
The crack runs across the tiles too.

ideally you should use a decoupling mat - like ditra.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back