Self leveling floor for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have laid a floor in my new concrete shed - the base is about 6 months old.
The shed is 2mx3m
The base was pretty uneven, so advised by a chap in Jewsons, I made a sand (sharp) and cement mix (1 mixer full, 1.5 bags of Blue circle & water-proofer) to even out the low spots, this covered the entire surface, from 1mm to 10mm thick.

Then 2 days later, when the sand/cement was dry, I put down 2 bags of Bostik Cempolay self levelling compound, which can be 15mm thick. I mixed with a paddle in a large yellow plasterers bucket, 2 separate mixes and used a float(?) type trowel to aid the self levelling stuff to get all over the floor.

I definitely mixed it correctly.

There are a few patches where the floor is not completely cured. There are parts that are just compressed powder, which is dust like & comes away, when persuaded with a tool. If I brush over it, it isn't moved.

The patches on the floor do not correspond with any previous low/high spots.

What are my options?

Another bag of self levelling? (I still have a distance before the top of the step!)
Some kind of concrete sealer?
Both the above?
Another option?

The self levelled floor has been down about 2 weeks now.

Ultimately, I'd like to paint the surface for use as a workshop.

Sponsored Links
Basic self levelling compound isn't suitable for painting and using as a finished floor. Typically you would put laminate or lino over it. The Cempolay Ultra Strong says you can use it as a finished floor, though. Which variety have you used?

Also your sub level of sand and cement doesn't sound ideal. You could get away with a bonded screed for that sort of thickness, you use an SBA and cement slurry mix to effectively glue the thin layer to the existing base. 1 to 10mm thick sounds way to thin for the mix you describe.

Not sure what you do now. I'd be tempted to put a little more leveller down to fill the gaps then put another surface over the top. Maybe a couple of sheets of plywood or OSB. Then hope for the best

Thanks for the reply Nick, I did used SBA in the sand/cement mix, but only a small amount.
I just used the basic Cempolay self levelling compound, recommended to me by Jewsons.

I don't really want a floor other than painted concrete. I guess the Ultra Strong can be poured on top of the existing self levelling compound.
The floor will not be subjected to any heavy use.

Should I use a sealer or PVA before the Ultra Strong?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back