Floor in outside shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an outside shed which is insulated and quite warm (in case this is relevant).
It has a floor of gravel directly laid on the earth.

I would like to make this a concrete floor but just wanted to check if I can buy just regular cement, mix it and pour it out. Do I need to use self leveling cement ? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
I have no idea how a shed that has no floor is quite warm?

Really you need to disasemble the shed and pour a concrete slab and reassemble on the slab.

You could simply pour a concrete slab inside but it will not turn out great and speed up the rotting of the base of the shed. It also may cause havoc at the door giving you a weird step/lip.

My suggestion of disassembling is the only real way to do a decent job that will last. You will at the very least need to refelt it afterwards as the felt will probably tear trying to move the roof

As for the the slab you need concrete approx 100mm thick at about

6:1 - ballast : cement.

Or if you cant find ballast (which is just sand and stone premixed)

3 parts gravel 2 parts sand 1 part cement.

Hi
I realise that I have not been totally clear... sorry about that.
Its not a wooden shed, its a brick work shed. So there is a foundation and block walls. The middle is just gravel and I would like to tidy that up.
Its not warm yet, but its totally isolated and will store my hotwater tank. I will put a small low wattage heater in there just to keep it from getting chilly :)

Sponsored Links
ok, in that case go nuts. Make sure you use dpm underneath to help keep it dryish but also to keep the concrete from drying out too fast.

If you want to insulate it with kingspan under the concrete you could.

The easiest way to do a building liike that is to nail battens to the wall with the top of them at your desired finished floor height then just fire in the concrete and screed and tamp it using the battens as a guide and because its just an outbuilding you could leave them in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back