Self Levelling Downstairs - Per room or in one go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to replace carpets downstairs with quality laminate flooring.
The concrete base is not brilliant, so it looks like I'll need to use self levelling compound.

The living room is fairly large (8m x 4.5m) so according to the flooring instructions I need to use door bars where it joins other rooms rather than lay one continuous mass of flooring.

I'm wondering if I can therefore lay SLC in one room, block it where the door bar will go, let it dry, then do another room. This will mean I can transfer furniture between rooms rather than have to clear the entire downstairs, which will be a nightmare.

Is this not advisable for any reason? Will it be hard to get the levels consistent between rooms?

Sponsored Links
That's fine. We do that allot because of furniture.
Should be ok levels.
Have you screeded before?

Thanks dazlight, that's good to know.

I haven't screeded before but I've watched a ton of videos and I'm a competent DIYer.

I've established that I'll use Mapei sealer first and Mapei Ultra plan SCL. I'm going to buy a pin leveller and squeegee since I have such a large area to do, and faffing with a trowel seems like hard work.

http://www.refina.co.uk/acatalog/Pin___Notched_Levellers.html

another other tips are very welcome :)

Spike roller 100% very important.
Having someone mixing for you helps.
Mix full units.
Priming is the key as helps it flow

Sponsored Links
Spike roller mate. Use a trowel with it. Pin leveller hard to get used to.
Is concrete clean ? Like no adhesive or paint on it. Or plaster!!!!!
Never screed over plaster.
Primer to use for concrete is ECO prim T if it's Mapei

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back