Self levelling screed uneven edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just attempted to level a large floor area (approx 27 sqm with some deep gaps / holes) with No Nonsense 3-50mm self levelling screed from screwfix.

It’s probably due to speed of work and texture difference between mixes, I found the edge between pour batches didn’t blend very well. The edges are slightly uneven and clearly some earlier batches started curing first so didn’t accept the later poured batches.

Question is how to fix this? Grind / sand it down? Or apply some feathering compound?

I also ran out of screed and about 1/4 of the room is still yet to be poured…. And likely I’ll have this same issue again!

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 4EB54F66-D26D-4082-87CC-693539859432.jpeg
    4EB54F66-D26D-4082-87CC-693539859432.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 03FE3863-EA5E-45AD-8E5C-430CD02E8FAA.jpeg
    03FE3863-EA5E-45AD-8E5C-430CD02E8FAA.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Looks ok from pictures.
Use a spirit level to check how bad it is.
Imperfections up to 5mm are accepted standard.

You can use a carborundum stone to deal with high spots.

You will need elbow grease as well...

The above company also sell tools to help to level the "self" levelling compound.

Looks ok from pictures.
Use a spirit level to check how bad it is.
Imperfections up to 5mm are accepted standard.
Thanks, yes just checked, the worst part is probably slightly more than 5mm.

The thing is I wished to have sheets flooring (vinyl / lino sheets) which seems to be asking for perfectly flat & even substrate?

Maybe in this case a glue down tile vinyl can work better?

Sponsored Links
You can use a carborundum stone to deal with high spots.

You will need elbow grease as well...

The above company also sell tools to help to level the "self" levelling compound.
Wow cool, never used one. Essentially a big sanding block for concrete? What’s the elbow grease for?

I have a 115mm angle grinder with dimond grinding piece, are you suggesting powered tools might be an overkill / take too much of it away?

Thank you!!

Wow cool, never used one. Essentially a big sanding block for concrete? What’s the elbow grease for?

I have a 115mm angle grinder with dimond grinding piece, are you suggesting powered tools might be an overkill / take too much of it away?

Thank you!!

The angle grinders can be difficult to control. Yeah, you risk taking too much off. Perhaps consider removing the highest spots with the angle grinder and smoothing it with the stone.

BTW, the advice that I have been previously given is to use a drill to mix it and pour it immediately.

What floorcovering you putting down. Did you not prime it 1st before the compound ? You need to cover the pipes 8-10mm in compound.

What floorcovering you putting down. Did you not prime it 1st before the compound ? You need to cover the pipes 8-10mm in compound.
I’m thinking vinyl / Lino tiles or sheets, or glue down cork tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back