Self-piercing valve not working on water filter kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I tried fitting an under counter water filter kit (http://www.screwfix.com/p/water-filter-kit/14306). Got everything installed and then as the last step I tightened the self-piercing value which seemed to go ok. When I turned the water back on nothing is coming out of the water filter tap. I read on a thread that you need to back the valve off a bit until you get a flow. It doesn't mention this in the instructions but I tried this nevertheless but after undoing the value a fair bit there was still no flow and a slight leak so I tightened it back up.

I then removed the tube from the self-piercing valve and slowly backed the valve back off again and nothing came out. Could it be the valve is faulty or am I missing something or made a mistake?

If it is a faulty valve and I get it replaced can I reuse the hole that the self-piercing valve made or do I need to create a new one and somehow block the old one?

Thanks,
Tim.

Sponsored Links
It's just possible that the disc you've cut from the pipe is stuck across the hole in the cutting tube, but it sounds unlikely.
As it's leaking you must have pierced the pipe. Therefore water should come through the tap, so it sounds like it's faulty.
Is the saddle or G clamp (there are 2 types) tight on the pipe?

Turn the mains water off again, take it all apart and you'll probably see something wrong. You should be able to blow through the valve when it's open.
Another valve of the same type should fit the hole you've made.

Thanks Justin. I removed the valve and tried blowing through it and couldn't. So I took the valve apart, did it back up and it worked. I guess something was blocking it.

Working fine now. Very pleased.

Sponsored Links
Its odd if you took it apart and did not find any blockage but it then worked when you refitted it.

A common problem when they are older is that the rubber washer spreads and blocks the outlet.

I would hope that no professional would be using them!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back