Self sufficient power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone here had any experience of generating thier own power from wind or solar pv panels, I would be particularly interested to hear if you supply the excess to the grid and details of costs and savings etc.

Sponsored Links
I think unless you are generating vast quantities, the electric co's wont be interested in buying it back off you. They will be interested in the technicalities of the installation though - making sure your phase matches the supply phase (so as not to introduce harmonics to the sine wave), and also how you design it so none of your electric leaks back through the electric meter (if this is not a viable option from the electric co) . . .

These technicalities make it difficult to produce your own electricity, but it is possible and several houses round here have solar panels (not sure whether PV or water heaters though). If you do decide to go ahead and the PoCo agrees, consider using lead acid batteries to store any excess and have a proper "power controller" to manage the power supplies efficiently and safely (if such equipment exists for the residential market)

Aligning the phases is easy, you start them off as close as you can, then within less than a revolution, your little generator will be in phase.

Otherwise, if it was half a degree early, it would be trying to push all the other generators round to match itself; half a degree later it would be trying to slow them down... which it can't

SSE bought into a small-scale wind generator co last year, they claim the new thing won't make your house vibrate and is reasonably inexpensive. Last I heard it was being test-marketed in regions.

crafty1289 said:
If you do decide to go ahead and the PoCo agrees,
Who or what on earth is the PoCo? :confused:

JohnD said:
Aligning the phases is easy, you start them off as close as you can, then within less than a revolution, your little generator will be in phase.
I remember our college lecturer showing us how to synchronise a DC motor- AC generator (MG) with the 3 phase supply using 3 lamps. When the MG was out of phase with the supply the lamps illuminated and extinguished at a frequency dependent on the difference between the two, when in phase they all extinguished. When this happened he threw the switch to put the generator on line. Maybe a bit Heath Robinson by todays standards.....

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
crafty1289 said:
If you do decide to go ahead and the PoCo agrees,
Who or what on earth is the PoCo? :confused:

Short for power Company... the rec, its an amercian term and I'm sorry, I beleive I was the one who brought it across to here from another forum :oops:

I've heard that method was used in power stations until recently, and also heard the tale in the Electricity industry of the generator that wasn't synchronised, and when it went back online it jumped in the air and rolled over, pulling itself out of it's concrete pad. No idea if it's true...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back