Self tapping screw size for electriQ cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm trying to repair my electriQ cooker hood as the 2 plastic latch mechanisms holding the door in place are broken.

My plan is to use 2 two small tower bolts, one on either end, when the bolts are retracted, the door can be opened and filter cleaned.

The tower bolts will be secured to the door and body of the fan using either self-tapping screws or nuts and bolts.

If I use self-tappers, can someone advise on the best size to use and suitable drill size? The screw holes in the tower bolt are approx 4mm so any screw/bolt must be around this diameter and for the self-tappers, I'm guessing the drill should be 3mm or less?

I know drilling into stainless steel can be tricky, I'm planning on using a Cobalt drill using the highest speed my cordless drill can deliver. Any suggestions on other approaches are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Is there anywhere on the hood that's out of site, perhaps the back that has the same gauge stainless to test on? If so I would get a set of cobalt bits from 2mm to 4mm in 1/2mm increments and try test holes with sizes governed by whatever dia self-tapper you use. So, start small and make the hole bigger until you can get the screw in and it's got a good anchor.

Yes, stainless can be a swine. As far as drill speed goes, I wouldn't use a high speed, just the speed that you feel the bit cutting with. Also, hit it regularly with WD40 as a cutting lube. Used WD recently drilling mild steel and was very surprised as to its effectiveness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back