Self tapping screws?

Sponsored Links
Self tappers are for metal, they look like wood screws .You used the wrong bit , requires pz2 anything else will damage screw head .Good job it stuck, at that angle it might have burst out the sides.

is that pozi? I used pozi, it’s like a diamond shape

I bought these screws because they were self tapping. I didn’t think self tappers needed all this faf!
Self tappers don't work all that well on wood because the threads aren't deep enough. Wood screws are a lot better, but you still need the right size of pilot drill. Are these really self tappers or are they wood screws? For self tappers you need to drill a precisely sized pilot hole or they can stick in the hole or even shear off. Even for wood screws you need to drill the right size of pilot holes

The other thing is that some self-tappers have Phillips heads, although the little lines at 45 degrees to the lobes is what actually tells you have Pozidriv screws in this instance

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I don’t understand how this is possible.

the timber is 50mm by 50mm

I can drill the slightly larger hole, but the slightly smaller one below that, how am I supposed to drill a tiny 3mm drill bit through 50mm of the long piece? The drill bit is too small
100mm long bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back