Door - security screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Putting doors on coal bunker, wanted some screws which a thief can’t just undo to get in.

I got some security screws from screwfix, they are TX security drive type.

I have a bit to drive them in, but how do they work? Surely if a robber has a screwdriver set he can get in, or do you destroy the head and drill it off?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It's all just a deterrent.
Locks. Paddocks ect can be picked or broken quickly but you do what you can.
Do the scum bags carry the correct screwdriver bits? Probably not. Looking for easier targets I'd hope

Do the scum bags carry the correct screwdriver bits? Probably not. Looking for easier targets I'd hope

but I don’t understand why they wouldn’t produce a glue in cap to go into the drive.

to me that makes more sense, like a plastic cap, I’m sure I’ve seen them yet screwfix don’t sell anything like that

I suppose I could add a blob of adhesive or something

Small coach bolts.. smooth head outside and the nut on the inside where the thief cannot reach

upload_2022-3-12_11-7-21.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Just run a drill bit in the head to strip out the gripping lugs, a normal pozidrive can be treated just the same.
Or fill with Araldite.

I'm with Footprints - even PZD screws can be made a lot more secure using a bit of Araldite

are these screws for a padlock hasp? Or a padbolt? Or hinges? Or what?

A lot of the newer bus shelters in this neck of the woods seem to have security screws, but the idiots who vandalise them seem to have the right tools, judging from the number of times they manage to remove panels, window beads, etc which are fixed in place with security Torx screws. I have also seen the little pins broken off a few times, too

Hex drive bolt and hammer an appropriate-sized ball bearing into it once driven. Not that I think people will be stealing coal [energy prices haven't gone up that far, yet]. Coach bolts are probably better, tbh.

We missed the old steel fabricator's favourite - a spot of weld in the top of the screw

We used to have security screws that were “inwards” only.
Conventional slot head but cut in such a way that a driver cammed out when turned the other way.

Araldite or coach bolts really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back