Screw head sheared off in kitchen cupboard door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I can extract a screw from a kitchen cupboard door. The screw was for the door hinge and it's a bit wobbly without it.

For some reason the head has come off and the rest of the screw is still inside the door.

I've tried drilling it out with a hss drill bit, but am a bit afraid to cause a total mess.

Has anyone got any advice?

Thanks,

Nick

Sponsored Links
You will need to chip away enough material to get to the top of the screw with a pair of mole grips and then you can turn the remains of the screw out. Problem is that the inside of the door then looks like a rat has been chewing it also as doors are not very deep the next screw you put in may not be the best fit.

Solution 1. Use Araldite rapid to secure the bottom part of the bracket, it is clear and very strong.

Solution 2. http://www.dri-sil.co.uk/door-repair.html

Thanks for that, I'll need to think about that....but how about a screw extractor drill bit?

I think it may be a bit too fiddly for a small screw.

never had much luck with those. first you have to drill a small hole in the screw. in theory you centre punch it then drill away. in reality the drill slips off an you make a bigger and bigger hole in the surrounding wood.

best advice is as above or drill a few holes next to it and extract it with needlenose pliers. you will then have to repair the hole with epoxy, chemical metal etc.

Sponsored Links
Most modern woodscrews are hardened so you won't drill them, better to drill round them with these then glue in a 6mm dowel and put a new screw into that when set. You could make one up for a one off from a bit of tube or roll pin.

Jason

Finally did it!

Bought a 1.5 mm HSS drill bit and drilled the remains of the screw out.

First I drilled a hole all the way through the screw, then enlarged it until all the metal was gone.

Good result, because I got another screw to go in the same place. I'm sure it's not quite as firm, but seems to be holding in ok.

I'm so pleased.....but had to spend £2.20 on a drill bit, which broke in the final stages!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back