Security screw drivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to repair a hand held vacuum cleaner which has a couple of security screws in it (presumably to stop me frying myself on the electrics). I need to get access to the mechanism to replace the belt that drives the brush. I bought a set of bits from Screwfix and found that a CR VT25 bit fits both screws but one of them requires a screwdriver rather than the bit plus shaft arrangement - the security screw is too far down in the plactic cover so the bit doesn't connect with the driver shaft. Anyone know where I can get one of these drivers

Sponsored Links
Thanks big-all for the quick reply and the cheery welcome. I also spotted the set at toolstation however the cost of repairing the hand held hoover would be getting to the point of buying a new one! So far its cost me £7 for new belts, £5 for the Screwfix bits and the unit itself only costs £45...

I should have explained that I'm looking for a single screwdriver with the right tip. I don't think I could justify £13 for the toolstation set.

the trouble is a specific security "driver" will probably cost as much a a full set off bits
can you show a picture off the bit that fits
if i dont need it i will post it foc
unless you live near to rh1 2ha then we can have a look
did you mention a belt as i doubt hand held will have more than a motor and fan :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Some of these outdoor/semi permanent markets sell these type of screwdriver points separately, and for a one off like your job sounds, even if it's cheap made, would be an option...pinenot :)

Big-all, sorry, don't have photo technology at the moment. The bit is a 6-pointed star with a hole in the centre (the screw has a star-shaped depression with a raised bit in the middle) - looks like the top row in the toolstation photo and I'm guessing these are the star bits - mine has a designation CR VT25 on it which probably means T25.

Thanks for the offer of posting your relevant bit, if its on contact me by email [email protected]

The hoover has a brush drum that is belt driven, its that belt that has snapped and needs replacing.

pinenot - thanks for the suggestion, I'll follow up if big-all is not in a position to help.

my set oddly seems to be t27 jumping from t20 to27 then 30
have a look at your small set and see whats between t20 and t30 :?: :?:

My set has T20 T25 T27 and T30 - go figure, as our transatlantic cousins would put it :D . Also I checked and its definitively a T25 I need.

another point its a 1/4" drive and full 6.35 shaft will an extension bar[bit holder] fit in the hole backwards

Vacuums which have belts usually have access to them without security screws, are you sure you need to remove them.?
You may find another access to the belt.

foxhole - this is a Home Tek Hunter. It has 4 normal screws and 2 security screws and that's it. The security screws are T25 and one of them is buried so deep in the plastic cover that a normal bit+driver arrangement doesn't work; the driver is too big to fit into the hole. big-all's suggestion of a kit from
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...t Sets/Security Bit Set 75mm/d80/sd650/p37470 would make sense as the shafts are longer but as I said in an ealier post its getting to the point where buying a new vacumn will be cheaper than buying the tools to fix the old one!

Thanks for the suggestion though, and I'll check my local market as pinenot suggested.

big-all the hole in which the screw is buried is just wide enough for a normal hex bit; what's really annoying is that if the hole with even 1/8" shorter I could get some pliers in to turn my existing bit. I'm thinking that some plastic surgery (sorry about the pun) might be in order...

cut a slot in the bit and use a flat bit

give me a couple off days to look for the t25

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back