Cunning security screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son has just presented me with a fan heater, which had a stray piece of plastic carrier bag stuck in the fan. Every time he'd tried pulling it out, a bit had come off and the rest remained stuck inside. He asked if I could work out how to dismantle the heater.

The casing had four deeply recessed screws. Three were No. 1 Pozidrive, which came out easily. The fourth turned out to be a security screw needing a spanner bit like this one. The trouble was, the deep hole was too narrow to get a 1/4 inch hex security bit in, let alone the bulky adaptor needed to hold the bit.

A couple of minutes' work with a hacksaw and a file, the sacrifice of a long reach 6mm screwdriver, and I now have a home-made long-reach spanner bit driver, and the minor satisfaction of having overcome some manufacturer's desire to keep me out of the heater's internals.

No response needed: just thought I'd post it here in case somebody else faces a similar problem in the future.

Sponsored Links
I've had something similar for about 25 years, I used to use it to adjust the mixture on Datsuns.

Hi just to save yourself a tool and some time next time you need a special bit, they can be supplied in long series varying from around 20mm to 200mm, most tool suppliers will be able to source them for you.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, Big-all, normal hex security bits won't fit down deep holes which are 6mm wide.

I didn't know long series security drivers were available, Pompeyal. Any suggestions for sources? In this case, though, I needed the tool straight away and all the shops were shut.

True: I wouldn't try making a torx security driver at home. Fortunately I have a set of drivers with a reasonable reach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back