Removing decking screws Ryobi drill/driver

Sponsored Links
Those are definitely pozi, not sure if they're 2 or 3, but it's easy enough to tell, a #3 bit will not fit a #2 screw.

I've haven't managed to break one of the DW's yet, but I once broke a Wera. Not a conclusive scientific test obviously, just my experience.
The DW's were a fiver, if you were to break 5 of em for every 'posh' bit, it probably works out the same.

There is also the issue of losing them, more painful when you use those expensive jobbies.

Those screws look like the bog standard screwfix decking screws, it's bad enough trying to get those buggers in! PH2 by the looks.

*edit* On closer inspection Mr T is correct.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again gents. A Pozi 3 doesn't fit the head, so looks like I'll use my Wera Pozi 2 that I've ordered. I went for an impact bit, in case I get the impact driver, but it sounds like I perhaps should have got a gold or diamond bit. I'll try it and see!

Fair enough if a No.3 won't fit it's got to be a No.2, in the photo it dose look like a No.3 though.

My top tip is to use a small pick, or very small flat screwey to remove the crud out of the head before trying to un-screw them, as the crud in the bottom of the recess prevents the bit engaging properly, this makes a big difference ;)

They look like no. 3 pozi to me as well.

I usually use the point of another screw to pick all the crud out of the screw heads.

Fair enough if a No.3 won't fit it's got to be a No.2, in the photo it dose look like a No.3 though.

My top tip is to use a small pick, or very small flat screwey to remove the crud out of the head before trying to un-screw them, as the crud in the bottom of the recess prevents the bit engaging properly, this makes a big difference ;)
Thanks, one of the biggest problems is that most of the screws have been driven right down under the surface, the heads aren't even visible and are blocked by splinters of deck, so I'm working blind. I will try all the tips you have given and hopefully I'll get on a bit better!

one of the biggest problems is that most of the screws have been driven right down under the surface, the heads aren't even visible and are blocked by splinters of deck

Thats all part of the fun mate :mrgreen: It would be boring if it was a piece of cake.

Best of luck
Vic.

Well tonight i screwed down 10m2 of backerboard to my kitchen floor ready for tiling, gave the dewalts a go and used my dw827 impact as well and got through 2 bits per board (x10 boards), finished off just firing screws in everywhere just to finish the bag off and used 1 gold wera bit :D

Well tonight i screwed down 10m2 of backerboard to my kitchen floor ready for tiling, gave the dewalts a go and used my dw827 impact as well and got through 2 bits per board (x10 boards), finished off just firing screws in everywhere just to finish the bag off and used 1 gold wera bit :D

You must be a seasoned tool abuser! Softly softly catchee monkee :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back