Selling a property with no regs HELP

When I was selling my first house, (bought for £3.5k, had a full renovation done on a 90% improvement grant, selling for £20k), a couple came round and were very interested. Let them look at it 3 or 4 times, (also let others look during this time), and kept asking if/when they were getting a surveyor out. They kept stalling. One day a guy was passing by when I was on the step with my two kids. Asked if it was still for sale and explained we were waiting for a couple to get a surveyor out. He said if they don't want it I have £20 cash. Give me the nod and I'll have a surveyor out the following day. Other couple turn up a night or two later, unannounced, and asked if they could have another look. I said not until you have sent a surveyor out and if he is not out within a week, I had a cash buyer standing by. Woman, (who seemed to be the trousers in the relationship), said, "well we won't be bluffed so take your cash buyer". Phoned the guy that evening, and his surveyor was out next day. Gary, (that was his name), turned up a week later, said the report picked up a few minor things but he was going to sort them himself and can I have your conveyancers' name address etc so my one can contact him, and here's mine with my details. Within 6 weeks we had exchanged contracts, and everyone was happy.

Stand your ground, you've already reduced it. Don't let them mug you.

Sponsored Links
I could share a few anecdotes of where buyers have pulled out of purchases due to sellers refusing to address (by whatever means) a significant issue identified on the survey......

Obviously having a cash buyer waiting in the wings casts a slightly different light on things.

The previously agreed price allows for any remediation work the buyer finds to be necessary.....

Sponsored Links
When I bought my house the survey picked up a lot of problems, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.
I tried to negotiate a better price but at the time it was a seller's market.
I ended up paying the asking price.
Stand firm, they're taking the pi$$.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back