SELV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two issues i was wondering about:
What does SELV stand for?
Is it possible to get plastic surface box with a 20mm conduit knockout like the steel ones? If you were to drill a 20mm hole in a standard box, how exactly would you go about it?

Thanks,
Declan.

Sponsored Links
not a lecky so cannot claim it's for sure but a quick google came up with:
Safety Extra Low Voltage

Would these do the trick?

If I HAD to drill a hole into a standard box I would put masking tape over where I wanted to drill, then drill from the outside in with a 20mm flat wood bit.

There is a real risk of shattering bits off the box though. Cheaper and better to go for a conduit box. I believe I have even seen them in DIY-sheds. :eek:

AdamW said:
If I HAD to drill a hole into a standard box I would put masking tape over where I wanted to drill, then drill from the outside in with a 20mm flat wood bit.
A hole saw would be a MUCH better tool to use, and would present no risk of shattering like a flat wood bit would.

Sponsored Links
Altec - you might be interested to know that "low voltage" does NOT mean 12V.

ELV, Extra Low Voltage means up to 50V AC or 120V DC, but in practice 99.999999999999% of ELV products on the market are 12V lighting systems.

People often erroneously refer to these as "low voltage", but in the context of the Wiring Regulations, and the various Acts of Parliament relating to electrical things, Low Voltage means up to 1000V AC or 1500V DC between conductors and up to 600V AC or 900V DC between any conductor and earth.

So everybody in the UK has an extensive Low Voltage system supplying their entire house. They may also have some ELV lighting.

thanks very much for the very helpful replys.
Declan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back