Semi-permanent extension lead to garden shed

Ok. Fair enough.

So I/we will deduce that any old slapdash method can be applied for non-fixed electrical work.

That makes more sense.
It's all very well to mock like that, but I did not write the law.

And I'd like to invite you to tell us exactly which law(s) do apply to non-fixed electrical work, as I suspect there are none (no specific ones), and that is nobody's fault either.

Sponsored Links
I'm not at all sure what, as a generality, "non-fixed electrical work" would encompass. As I've said, it's hard to see how/that there could be any specific laws or regulations relating to (anyone) plugging things into sockets in an installation, and I think that the construction of electrical equipment' is a different issue - so the only thing which comes immediately to mind as "non-fixed electrical work' would probably be the design, construction and deployment of extension leads etc.

Kind Regards, John

Surely screwing a socket to a building wall makes it fixed, as does securing a cable by screwed-in cable clips? Note that Approved Document P 2.2a(ii)* makes clear that the same rules apply to sheds as main buildings.
At one end of the spectrum, a permanent hard installation is fixed and all the rules apply, and at the other plugging in an extension cable for a couple of hours to power a drill isn't fixed and the none of the rules apply. Somewhere in the middle is a grey area that the rules avoid covering.
How difficult is it to say, for example, as I might that if the item or its cabling is restrained from moving in any way apart from the contact of a plug with a socket then it comes under the definition of fixed?

*Corrected following EFLImpudence's comment below (it was Part P rather than Approved Document P)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There is no 2.2a(ii) of Part P.

You are referring to Approved Document P which is merely a guide someone has written, the only statutory parts being those in shaded green.

Approved Document P does, however, quote on page 2 the actual Building Regulation Part P in its entirety:

upload_2018-12-2_23-13-31.png

That's it; there is no more.

Your interpretation of it is as valid as anyone else's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back