Washing machine on extension lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to relocate my washing machine and tumble dryer (2 units) to my garden shed.

Current location is in utility room. The shed is just outside that room. I was going to get an electrician in to wire in extra sockets to the shed but I am trying to save money.

Can I run an extension lead from the current socket out into the shed and plug both appliances into that or will it overload the extension?

Not knowing much about it I'm asking for help on the practicalities of it and whether it is safe.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Having a proper installation would be the right thing to do, with a dedicated RCD protected and fused circuit to the outbuilding. Start saving up.

You will have to use separate plugs, separate sockets, and separate cables. Not a double socvket for both appliances. Get a couple of RCD adaptors (at the house end) at the least as they will be outside the house and damp or wet. Both the extension cables must be suitable for 13Amp loads. Don't get them much longer than you need.

Roll up and put away the extensions between use as they will deteriorate once you stop bothering and they are exposed to sun and trampling.

tilsley said:
I am trying to relocate my washing machine and tumble dryer (2 units) to my garden shed.
quick question - do you have a water supply at the shed? (And i dont mean a hosepipe)

tilsley said:
Current location is in utility room. The shed is just outside that room. I was going to get an electrician in to wire in extra sockets to the shed
Good idea

tilsley said:
but I am trying to save money.
Also a good idea - use it to pay the electrician.

tilsley said:
Can I run an extension lead from the current socket out into the shed and plug both appliances into that or will it overload the extension?
Very bad idea. Even if this was just a temporary arrangement, I'll bet you would forget about it after a while and take it for granted.

tilsley said:
Not knowing much about it I'm asking for help on the practicalities of it and whether it is safe.
Please stop penny pinching - its not a good idea with electrics.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
tilsley said:
quick question - do you have a water supply at the shed? (And i dont mean a hosepipe)

In the spirit of the OP, that is also very funny!

I dare not reply.

Yes I was trying to cut corners and keep expense down although I take on board the fact that I shouldn't be.

I shall engage the services of a professional.

Regarding the question about the water in the shed. I was intending on extending current hose through said wall and into said shed. That question was under a different topic.

I wanted to DIY as much as possible but the electrics are way above my ability so better extend the overdraft.

Thanks for the sensible and not so sensible answers! :oops:

I look forward to your advice.

Reading the forum rules would be a good place to start

...........And please start a new thread in future as per the forum rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back