Two separate circuits for washing machine and freezer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If having two single sockets located in an outside brick shed with the intention that one socket would be for a washing machine and the other for an upright freezer, should these have two *separate* circuits?

I'd like to leave open the possibility that perhaps instead the two sockets may instead be for a washing machine and a separate tumble dryer (in case that makes any difference wattage-wise).

I'm going to have an electrician take a look, but he did say something about if it has a straight radial it may not need an extra circuit. If anyone wants to comment on this, that would be interesting.

Sponsored Links
Not worth running two seperate circuits, but may be worth installing a larger than normal cable.

It may be an idea to use a 4.0mm2 radial circuit protected by a 32amp breaker.

And 30 mA RCD will be required.

I'd like to leave open the possibility that perhaps instead the two sockets may instead be for a washing machine and a separate tumble dryer (in case that makes any difference wattage-wise).
A tumble dryer would make a big difference 'wattage-wise', so if that is a future possibility, the design should take that into account.

There is certainly no reason why you would necessary have to have two separate circuits. Indeed, it's unlikely that there would be a good reason for that. However, your electrician will be able to advise on the best approach.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Not worth running two seperate circuits, but may be worth installing a larger than normal cable.
So what would the "normal" size be for a circuit?

And what would be the advantage of using one which was larger than required?

So what would the "normal" size be for a circuit?

And what would be the advantage of using one which was larger than required?

I would expect an average electrician to run a 2.5mm2 radial circuit potected by a 20amp breaker, but I think a 32amp circuit wired in 4.0mm2 would be better as it will or may be serving fairly powerful appliances.

If the washing machine trips the MCB or RCD for a single circuit to the shed then the freezer will lose power. How long would it be before you realised there was no power to the freezer and the contents were defrosting.

Actually you'd be more likely to realise on a single circuit if the washing machine caused it (while it was in use). Assuming a separate circuit could also trip without being noticed, a fridge alarm would be the best answer.

A tumble dryer would make a big difference 'wattage-wise', so if that is a future possibility, the design should take that into account.

There is certainly no reason why you would necessary have to have two separate circuits. Indeed, it's unlikely that there would be a good reason for that.

If the washing machine was in fact a combined washing machine/tumble drier with a wattage of 2500-3000W which is the wattage of a tumble drier when I searched online, would this necessarily be a good reason for a separate circuit for the washing machine/tumble drier combo?

I presume a washing machine/tumble drier combo machine has a similar wattage to a standalone tumble drier.

If the washing machine was in fact a combined washing machine/tumble drier with a wattage of 2500-3000W which is the wattage of a tumble drier when I searched online, would this necessarily be a good reason for a separate circuit for the washing machine/tumble drier combo?
As I and others have said before, there would be no real reason for needing two separate circuits, for any of these appliances or combinations of appliances. The majority of domestic sockets circuits are 32A ones, and that means that they could theoretically service about 7360 W - hence nearly three such machines running simultaneously.
I presume a washing machine/tumble drier combo machine has a similar wattage to a standalone tumble drier.
Yes, the peak power required by the combined appliance will be when it is drying, so probably similar to that of a standalone dryer. Having said that, I thought that most such machines (either type) tended to be closer to 2000 W than 3000 W these days.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, the peak power required by the combined appliance will be when it is drying, so probably similar to that of a standalone dryer. Having said that, I thought that most such machines (either type) tended to be closer to 2000 W than 3000 W these days.
Could well be. I just searched online for wattage of tumble drier and it was the figure I saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back