Would I be able to install a washing maching in a bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently having an extension built and was wondering if I would be able to install the washing machine and tumble dryer in the downstairs bathroom which will have sufficeint room to accommodate both appliances – Are there any rules/regualtions that states you cannot have electrical appliances in a bathroom.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You cannot have a socket outlet in a bathroom, you can however use a fused connection unit situatuated in zone 3 to supply appliances (also in the zone) such as those you describe as long as its RCD protected and the appliance is suitable for the conditions likely to be found in that zone (you're going to have to speak to the maker on that one)

Its another thing to be sup. equip. bonded so don't forget about that aspect, and also its notifiable work, but if you are building an extension there are already plenty of things requireing notification going on, so as long as your BCO deals with part P in a reasonable manner then it shouldn't be much of an issue

Thanks for your prompt reply Adam 151,

Just looked up on the internet the meaning of RCD and posting it here for the benefit of other members like myself who do not know what is an RCD.

What Is An RCD?

A Residual Current Device (RCD) is a protective device that switches off its output circuit automatically, when it detects an earth fault current that could pose an electric shock risk.

Any appliance plugged into a socket-outlet can pose an electric shock risk and in many homes, all socket-outlets are now protected with an RCD.

The risk of serious injury and death from electric shock is far greater outdoors compared with indoors, due to wet conditions and good contact with the ground. Any socket-outlet that may be used for plugging in 230 Volt portable electrical equipment for use outdoors must have RCD protection - this is a requirement of BS 7671. The RCD should have a tripping current (maximum rated residual operating current) of 30 milliamperes.
If you have any 230 V socket-outlets that may be used for plugging in portable equipment that will be used outdoors, and are not protected by an RCD, buy a plug-in RCD adaptor from a reputable dealer. Using such RCDs offers a good temporary solution to reduce the risks of injury or death from electric shock. However, a safer solution is to ask an NICEIC Approved Contractor to install permanent RCD protection for these socket-outlets.

And your Main Equipotential Bonding should be adequate, too.

Sponsored Links
However, a safer solution is to ask an NICEIC Approved Contractor to install permanent RCD protection for these socket-outlets.

When will they learn - since the introduction of Part P of the building regs there are several trade bodies for electricians to register with

NAPIT
ECA
BRE
ELECSA
BSI

etc

as an ex hotpoint engiineer, i could refuse to work on your appliance because i can not unplug it.

the first thing we did was to unplug it then "megger" it (to check its insulation resitance) can do that if its not plugged in. and as has been said you cant have a socket in a bathroom.

so i would suggest you dont have them in a bathroom

Thanks for all your valuable advice - Decided to leave the appliances out of the bathroom.

DESL said:
However, a safer solution is to ask an NICEIC Approved Contractor to install permanent RCD protection for these socket-outlets.

When will they learn - since the introduction of Part P of the building regs there are several trade bodies for electricians to register with

NAPIT
ECA
BRE
ELECSA
BSI

etc

Might be the posted info was from the NICEIC webbysite ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back