Can i put a washing machine/dryer in a bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning layout for extension and locations of appliances and cupboards post extension.

The better half would like to put the washing machine and tumble dryer (stacked) within a new bathroom, most likely be next to the toilet, a stretch from the sink(about 0.75M) and about 1.4m from the shower.

closest points between the appliance and water device...

Would this be OK to leave straight in, does it need to be in a cupboard, or better not to have it at all in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
A socket outlet would very much not be permitted in the location of a shower/bathroom of this size. But if the edge of the bath/shower tray exceeds 600mm to the appliance, then a fused connection could be used.

Sponsored Links
If I drill a 4 inch hole in the wall next to the appliances such that a standard plug could fit through, I could plug it in to an rcd protected ring "outside" of the bathroom. Is that permitted or can I use that as an argument to the other half to just put the appliance on the other side of the wall (the one I refer to with the 4 inch hole!)

I guess it is an debate between me and Mrs as to where a wall goes- to put the appliance in or out of the bathroom!

If I drill a 4 inch hole in the wall next to the appliances such that a standard plug could fit through
There's not a lot which is more tacky than that. Fake stone cladding, inflatable illuminated Santas at Christmas, most of what they sell in the lighting dept in Harrods, but that's all that immediately spring to mind.

Divert the the wall to go round where the washing machine will be placed so the machine is in the next room. ( If the wall was straight the machine would be in the bathroom )

Then have a storage cupboard over the machine.

Or more complex but will surely impress the good lady.

Divert only the lower half of the wall round the machine and the top half goes straight. Put a flat "roof" over the machine. The machine is now in a little cubby hole under the "roof". The top of the "roof" is in the bath room and would make a useful shelf. A shallow wash basin could be fitted into the top of the "roof".

Thanks for the suggestion, but with the tumble dryer stacked, that cubby hole in the bathroom will be way high up!

Hopefully enough to convince her to put it where i want, just outside! Would make plumbing and waste water management very easy that way, it would share the same space as boiler/hw tank and water softener, so all i need is already in that cupboard...

Much depends on the shower enclosure it may be considered as a room in its self depending on how it's designed.

So I am not going to comment on fact there is a shower as I don't know how it is installed.

However the washer/dryer is a heavy power user on a kitchen ring not really a problem but not really OK on the general house ring. It's the dryer function which is the problem it uses heat for so long. Also there is the waist problem the machine often uses cold water to condense the water out of the drying air and keeps using short renewal of the cooling water. As with condensing boilers this can freeze when sent to an outside drain. With boilers there is an opium size of pipe around 2.5 inches from memory and also needs to be so water can not collect in the pipe.

So likely special drain requirements and a dedicated supply.

Likely fitting perspex panels from existing shower cubical to ceiling will mean the cubical is classed as a room. I have this in my mothers house the shower both upstairs and down stairs are classed as a wet rooms.

I remember my sister being rather peeved in her house she could not remove the door to on-suit shower and have a curtain for same reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back