Sempatap insulation/anti condensation treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had any experience with this product?

"SEMPATAP is thermal insulation on a roll as simple and easy as wallpaper to apply and is the economical solution for resolving condensation problems"

mould growth consultants link

A colleague is being approached to set up some trials, but I am sceptical as to if this actually works - as It does not do anything to remove condensation, so I can see condensation just forming elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Woody, i don't need any experience of it to know that it won't work. Obviously it's not a cure for condensation, it's simply a management solution aimed at raising wall temperatures above dew point level. If only it was so easy to deal with condensation!

I used to do a lot of work for a housing association that used this stuff a lot. It was a long time ago but I don't remember it being particularly successful. I also recall that it gets damaged easily. Nearly all the houses I saw had rips and tears etc. which looked a mess. Problem is it's not really feasible to repair the stuff and the adhesive you stick it on with is very powerful so it's absolutely murder to remove.

We have a small spare room, that when used as a bedroom would quickly develop mould on the walls. It has a double glazed window and no wall vents. The window doesn't have a proper trickle vent but the handle has a 'partially open' option. This is now left on the open setting all the time, but was draughty when the room was used for sleeping in, plus the inconvenience of external traffic noise coming in.
Two of the walls in the room are external 9" brick.

One day the room might get a makeover and I'll probably go with aquapanel thermal screwed to the wall, followed by foil backed PB and skim. Don't know how the price would compare to sempatap, but it's only a small area to cover. There's also insulation backed PB to consider.

Sponsored Links
I'm willing to wager the cost of some trickle vents would be far lower

p4667447_l.jpg

Cold wall and heat loss is the problem, not just the condensation.

But thanks for reminding me, I need to get some replacement drill bits. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back