Sentencing (criminal justice system)

Sponsored Links
How would you know?

Apart from murder and bank robberies which are usually reported, and have fallen.

Many crimes are not reported.

In the old days, people with no insurance saw no point in reporting it. In rural districts, crime was more often reported by people who happened to live near a police station, or had a telephone. This does not mean that police stations cause crime.

Sex crimes are mostly unreported. In years gone by, crimes against children never reached the police. Sometimes the child would be smacked round the head for "telling terrible lies about that lovely Father O'Shaunnessy."

Crime is at an all time low.
The slaughtering of the horse and lion put a means to that.

Regarding anyone or everyone who had radical billion ideas that were created are deemed as mentally ill.
The true crook put that in order...

Notice a few on here declaring all but true goodness and true complaining after the slaughter of good men.

Time to do nothing.

Forgot about the last 3 neurons, sorry.
Add to my post the phrase "after an enquiry is successfully completed and facts are clear that the killed entered the premises uninvited"... from the no shyte sherlock catalogue.
Do you really think I want people killed and no questions asked???

Or better, pass a law that anybody breaking into someone's home, automatically loses all human rights and the homeowners will not be prosecuted whatever happens.
The burglaries would stop immediately.

Seriously, do you think that such thing can happen today with technology following our every move.

With all this technology making information available to everyone yet myths and lies and untruths and misinformation abounds even more. Technology is not a panacea.

You need to dial that back.

Sponsored Links
Or better, pass a law that anybody breaking into someone's home, automatically loses all human rights and the homeowners will not be prosecuted whatever happens.

We can easily check that.

Have burglaries stopped in Texas?

No, and it has one of the highest incaration rates in the world. About 1% of the adult population.

With all this technology making information available to everyone yet myths and lies and untruths and misinformation abounds even more. Technology is not a panacea.

You need to dial that back.
Prosecution and enquiry are 2 different things.
Sorry again, we're down to 2 neurons

deterrence means "dissuading people from committing the crime in the first place"

you are talking about something that happens after a crime has been committed and investigated, the criminal tracked down and successfully prosecuted.

most crimes don't get that far.
Deterrents to reoffend do not work in manycases...chopping hands off will defo stop them burgling again..A good flogging would definitely deter.Fewer reoffending frees up police to catch more crims.People going round and round in the system is no good to anyone.

This, like all other discussions, is a dead horse because the usual suspects take 3 words out of 10 sentences and make up that someone is racist/homophobic/violent/insane/etc.
When in fact the only insane ones are themselves, not able to read further than a few words, just the words they don't like.
3 neurons...

We can easily check that.

Have burglaries stopped in Texas?
Have you been to texas?
I have, and i tell you, the sheriff and deputies make their presence known, especially to outsiders.
Maybe different in large cities, but in small towns, they don't mess about.
Lots of civilians with military style weapons helping the cops patrolling the streets.
Talking to the locals, you can leave your house open and go on holiday for a month.
The only people entering the house will be the neighbours to water the plants.

Even if it’s not a 'good deterrent', if you lock a burglar up for a long time, that’s a long time they won’t be out burgling people. It’s protecting society from them isn’t it?
What reminded me of that example was that in around 1997/8 I was working for a charity, training up troubled/naughty/excluded kids in mechanics and we got ESF (European Social Fund) money. It was money for old rope - we had a contract with the local authority education department and were well paid for them but we were allowed to double count, even triple count with funding from the NSF (Neighbourhood support fund) for these kids. One of the criteria we had to satisfy was a reduction in local crime and we satisfied that criteria by simply stating in the form words to the effect that "while these kids are with us, they are not out in the streets committing crimes". The ESF really was a virtual bottomless pot of funding. We even had an ESF budget allowance to give the kids attendance and performance bonuses and, I swear on my kids lives, non-attending school age students were going home at Christmas with over £500 cash in their pockets!

I live in a very safe low crime area, but in other areas do see houses with steel gates at windows and doors - I can imagine what it must be like for those people having to live like that, so sympathise.

To be honest, as I've retired retired the wife and I are considering selling up and moving to a property in a 'gated community'. There has just been one built (and sold out) in the next village - 5 houses, 3x3 bed; 2x4 bed, all with double garages, large lawns. Sad we missed one.

I say the criminal should be made to pay for repairs and reparations in full as part of the sentence - attachment of earnings/savings/benefits or sell their property to cover costs - should also reduce insurance costs for the rest of us.

What reminded me of that example was that in around 1997/8 I was working for a charity, training up troubled/naughty/excluded kids in mechanics and we got ESF (European Social Fund) money. It was money for old rope - we had a contract with the local authority education department and were well paid for them but we were allowed to double count, even triple count with funding from the NSF (Neighbourhood support fund) for these kids. One of the criteria we had to satisfy was a reduction in local crime and we satisfied that criteria by simply stating in the form words to the effect that "while these kids are with us, they are not out in the streets committing crimes". The ESF really was a virtual bottomless pot of funding. We even had an ESF budget allowance to give the kids attendance and performance bonuses and, I swear on my kids lives, non-attending school age students were going home at Christmas with over £500 cash in their pockets!
Benefit scrounging again?

What is training up?

Sponsored Links
Back