Sentinel x400..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had new radiators installed upstairs and getting the downstairs replaced in the next month.

There is obvious signs of slush in the old rads and the boiler played up a little over the winter as a result.

Before the engineer comes to complete the work at the end of the month I am looking to add some Sentinel x400 to loosen any slush which maybe in the pipes.

I know that I need to bleed the system and add the stuff to the header/expansion tank in the loft. My question is this;

Do I really need to drain the entire system or can I drain say a bucket full of water and then add the Sentinel x400?

This would be quicker, cheaper (on the water bill!) without needing to worry about airlocks etc.

The idea is that the engineer will drain the system fully along with the x400 when fitting the new rads in a few weeks and add inhibitor.

Hope this makes sense and look forward to your replies!

Matt

Sponsored Links
once you've found your drain cock, and learned how to pour chemicals into the F&E, you can drain it out yourself. It's very easy.

Before you start, tie up the ball cock and bale out all the mud in the F&E. No sense in washing that down into your pipes and radiators. Sponge it clean. Wipe out with bleach.

Then drain at least another bucket out of your drain cock.

Then tip the X400 into your F&E and stir it as you untie the ballcock and let it run down into your pipes and radiators.

If you don't do this it will mostly just lie in the F&E without going anywhere.

You should clean the system before fitting new radiators really. You need to leave the pump running for at least a few days, preferably a few weeks, to loosen the sludge before you drain, rinse and refill.

If your system is very dirty, you can do it again after the plumber has finished. X400 is pretty cheap. If you are only paying the plumber to fit new radiators, you should not assume that he will flush and clean the system for nothing. It is easy but takes time.

On final fill after you have done all your cleaning, add X100 inhibitor.

Why bother with the chance of air locks and fecking around in the loft ,just squirt this product directly into a ground floor radiator.
https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...heating-systems/sentinel-x400-system-restorer

rapid-dose-assembly-uk-x400-no-reflection.png
Other products are available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back