Sentinel X800 - does it contain real magic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
because it's fixed a real pain of a problem with my CH system.

one bottle of this and it's "working" - actually working. I could weep I'm so happy :)

seriously, I read the endless reviews on the 'net about this stuff and, let's just say I was cautious about all the "5 stars" for this product.

it's not cheap for a can of "liquid", but I suppose if it's got lots of magic in it then it's quite cheap!

I posted this really to share an example of how this stuff can be a game changer. it won't fix all issues (obviously) but, as I do, lots of people such the web for answers, or encouragement, for a course of action they want to take. if you are wondering if you should use X800 to help kick-start an old system, I'd say yes!

power-flushing etc is probably the right thing to do after, but since I'm changing most of mine soon I'll do that later.

cheers

* no, I don't work for Sentinel

Sponsored Links
Not magic. Just Chemistry. ;) X400 is the one for older systems usually, can be left in the system a lot longer without issues.

Sponsored Links
Chemically cleaning a system is one way to deal with sludge.

X800 takes about 24 hours and MUST then be flushed out within 3 days.

X400 must be left in for 4-6 weeks and then flushed out within a week.

More badly sludged systems need power flushing with a chemical and X800 was developed for this.

But there are other chemicals and some situations will need them.

X800 and X400 are non acidic and relatively safe to use on any system.

Tony

Chemically cleaning a system is one way to deal with sludge.

X800 takes about 24 hours and MUST then be flushed out within 3 days.

X400 must be left in for 4-6 weeks and then flushed out within a week.

More badly sludged systems need power flushing with a chemical and X800 was developed for this.

But there are other chemicals and some situations will need them.

X800 and X400 are non acidic and relatively safe to use on any system.

Tony

I wondered about that. This question and answer is from their website:

"DO YOU NEED TO REMOVE SENTINEL X800 FAST ACTING CLEANER FROM THE SYSTEM?
To complete the cleaning process, you should always drain or flush the system fully to remove all of the debris that Sentinel X800 Fast Acting Cleaner has collected or dislodged. If you do not drain the system of this debris, the system will remain dirty."

Seems to imply that the downside is just that the system will remain "dirty"

Note: I've drained my system twice since. Was a pain but what came out was bloody filthy!

A chemical clean is a cheap and easy DIY job, and is likely to do some good, so well worth doing, but IME it is greatly improved by adding a system filter. It will continue trapping the loosened particles that were not flushed away (you can never get it all out) and will prevent them settling into new blockages. You will be amazed and delighted at how much dirt it captures.

Magnetic filters have their place but in my opinion they are sometimes overused and oversold in order to make money. A correctly piped and protected system should not generate significant amounts of sludge because oxygen should not be getting into the water. Properly installed sealed systems should not need magnetic filters.

I regularly come across systems which have been in place for decades which are quite clean. If your system is generating lots of sludge, I would also be looking for reasons as to why. If you only use a magnet to remove corrosion products without sorting out an underlying problem, the radiators will still be corroding internally.

There is unfortunately a problem that many installers charge the customer for a mag filter and then save their time by not doing any further cleaning.

That's made worse by not establishing any regime to clean the filter regularly.

Tony

I've actually ended up with two TF1's :)

A 22mm and a 28mm

I plan to fit both as I have roughly, well exactly, 26 rads.

Why not...

Perhaps it's due to our soft water here in Scotland, but I come across loads of old systems with water as clean as Nun's knickers. I worked on a system recently that I installed 16 years ago & there was not a drop of inhibitor in the system, which I view as snake oil. It was a sealed system & 100% leak free. It had a Ph of 7.

As for filter/cleaners, I follow Tomplum's mantra - stick a few earth magnets on the back of any wee radiator that's easy to flush out, mains water flush that radiator every year or so & Bob is a close relative!!!

As for filter/cleaners, I follow Tomplum's mantra - stick a few earth magnets on the back of any wee radiator that's easy to flush out, mains water flush that radiator every year or so & Bob is a close relative!!!

I literally watched that tomplum magnet vid last night :)

He's a funny bloke.

I literally watched that tomplum magnet vid last night :)

He's a funny bloke.

The man is a Plumbing hero mate, a very experienced, knowledgeable guy with a wonderful sense of humour. His videos should be compulsory viewing for every Plumbing apprentice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back