Separate Hob and Oven connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a separate hob and oven combination to connect and need to work out the best way to do this.

The hob is rated at 6.2kW and the oven 4.3kW.

Option 1) Run two 20 amp radial circuits with relevant isolators to two wall plates and 2.5mm 90 deg PVC flex from the wall plates to the appliances. Simple. Except there is no spare capacity in the property to add another radial circuit - so a new consumer unit, lots of new cabling and much expense!

So...I favour option 2 if it is allowed.

Option 2) If the two appliances were treated as one (like the old cooker) then can they both be connected to the existing 30 Amp cooker radial? Diversity calcs say it would be fine.

The only problem is what flex to use when connecting the appliances to the wall plate on a 30A circuit? The appliances specify 90 deg C heat resistant flex is needed and not regular 6mm T+E like on the old cooker. I have found some 4mm 85 deg C flex that's rated above 30 amps (looked at manufacturers spec) but I won't fit two of them into one wall plate!

Q. Is is acceptable to put 2 wall plates on one 30 Amp cooker radial?

Q. Is it common practice and acceptable to connect a separate hob and oven into one suitably rated radial circuit as suggested in my option 2?

I hope it is because it will be a real pain to install a second separate radial from the consumer unit! Please advise.....

(Before you ask I DO believe in diversity. I'm not gonna discuss it here but it has never let me down yet.)

Sponsored Links
The solution: Don't fit a cooker - just buy take away meals :D

They're getting a bit expensive after 3+ years though :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back