Seperating two lights operating with one switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

First of all, I would like to appreciate your brilliant forum the provides some very useful tips to DIY problems.

My electrical wiring problem--- In my house I have an external light and a light in the reception operated with one switch. Now I want to replace the external light with PIR light, what would be the simplest way of seperating the light in the reception, so that I dont have to keep the reception light on during night time.

I would really appreciate a solution whereby I can avoid messing up with the wiring of my old house and avoid tearing down the walls/ ceilings.

Thaking in advance,

Sponsored Links
It would depend on how the circuit is wired, so there's no definite answer.

Basically to be able to say what to do we'd need to know where the cable from the external light runs to (could be the light switch, could be the ceiling rose of the reception light, could be a junction box somewhere etc).

Also, you would need to add a second switch, as you shouldn't leave the light permanently powered (plus also most PIR lights have a useful override feature, where if you switch them off then back on again quickly, they stay on for a set period - this can be very useful at times)...

Thanks Guys,

Yes, I forgot to mention that I intend to replace my existing single light switch to double, I have checked that the wiring is only single point cable, It looks like the cable to the external light is distributed from the ceiling point of the reception.

Do I need to change/ replace the exsting wiring into the switch?

I didnt quite understand the remote control swiching option? my existing light point is flush a due to height restriction.

Sponsored Links
If the reception light is a traditional loop fitting, i.e. the cable to the switch arrives there, along with the supply, then the only extra cable you'll need to install is an additional one to the switch (if you're very lucky someone will have used conduit and you can just drop an extra feed down it, but most likely you'll have to chase out the wall).

At the ceiling rose, you then just add an extra terminal block which links the new switched live from your new cable to the live for your outside light.

If your reception light doesn't have the permanent live there, i.e. just has a cable supplying it, and the one going off to the outside light, then there will be a junction box somewhere that you'll have to find...

The light side of the remote units is nearly the same as standard ceiling rose. But the wireless switches remove the need to get an extra cable to switch. The B&Q option has advantage it will also dim the lights but disadvantage that you can't use energy saving bulbs.
As far as I am aware the MK has advantage no batteries in light switch but I have only seen it exists not read up on it as yet.
If there is no problem running extra wires then no point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back