Light Switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bare with me, this confuses me a bit when thinking nevermind writing!

A double switch downstairs in my property controls two lights, a reception room and the upstairs landing (the stairs go direct from this room). There is also a single switch upstairs that controls the landing light. Now the switch upstairs only works when the switch downstairs controlling the landing light, is switched to "on".

This is also a problem with another set of switches in my house controlling the same light.

Does anyone know if this is a common fault, easily rectified?

Many Thanks

Richard

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic of how these switches are wired up?

Don't know how common it is, but I was round a friend's house last week, and he had the same problem - it was a wrongly wired switch and was fixed in 5 mins.

Wired up wrong, usually wrong wire in the 'common' terminal. The wire in the up switch common terminal should typically be the same colour as in the down switch common terminal.
Has one or both of these switches been replaced at one time?

I have no idea if they have been replaced. Also I'm new to DIY so would you recommend getting an electrician in or as far as novice skills go is this 'do-able'

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks I'm sure i can follow the diagrams... If only i knew which ones to look at! Apologies, but like I said, I'm a total novice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back