Light Switch

Thanks for your replys,

Ill try the com linking.

If anyone has a link to any wiki guide or other guide/diagrem how to fix this would be helpful!
Ive had a look at the one above but it doesnt show the same type of light switch.

Also, if i buy a multimeter, Is it guaranteed to help me fix this problem.

How/what will it do?
Any diagram/guid on how to use it?

Thanks for any replys!

Sponsored Links
Ill try the com linking.
Has this now solved your problem?

If anyone has a link to any wiki guide or other guide/diagrem how to fix this would be helpful!
Ive had a look at the one above but it doesnt show the same type of light switch.
How is your light switch different?

No.

How/what will it do?
There are many guides on the web (try google search "using a multimeter") that may help (or confuse!) such as these:
How to use a multimeter (Edit) http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Multimeter
Using a multimeter http://www.doctronics.co.uk/meter.htm

electrics:lighting:2waysw.jpg

How does your light switch differ from this?
Any chance of a clear picture with your connections showing?

Sponsored Links
That is back of my light switch,

And the first page has the picture of the availbible connections.

Ive tried messing around with them but i cant find thew right way.

I hope someon can help me here.

Thanks!

How/what will it do?

The cables in the switch could be wired in several different ways for different situations and applications, there is no "standard". As you've disconnected them without noting what they were connected to, they need tracing and identifying. No offence intended, but you seem to lack the basic understanding of electrical circuitry needed to do this.

I could make educated guesses as to what the conductors do and what you could try but this would be a foolish and possible dangerous way of proceeding.

The only difference between your switch (AFAIK!) and the one shown in the Wiki is that yours is a 2 gang switch i.e. 2 seperate switches in one unit.

Each switch should have its own set of 3 connectors marked C, L1, L2.

With respect perhaps its is time to call in a qualified electrician for your own and others safety.

hairyben";p="1025463 said:
Also, if i

I could make educated guesses as to what the conductors do and what you could try but this would be a foolish and possible dangerous way of proceeding.

Well if you dont mind could you tell me the way it could be wired.

Iv already tried a few ways but i dont come out with a proper result. It always ends up being either one light works or the other doesnt.

If you can link me to a guid that shows this type of switch i wouldnt mind

Or if you no whihc way it could be wired.

I know what the wires are for,

But i dont know to well which way round or which terminal they should be connecteed to.
That's an oxymoron.

Ive provided enough ,i hope, information for someone to help me out.
You have indeed. And the help you need was provided by TonyWarrington - if you can't even see that your switch, being a 2-gang, looks like 2 1-gang switches, and you therefore can't wire it up despite knowing what each wire is for you really ought to call in an electrician.

Also, Should the live be in L2 ior Com?
Err...
I know what the wires are for
:confused: :confused:

Maybe i shouldt have said that haha!

Okay i dont no wat the wires are for,

Its a 2 gang switch,

Any help availble to wire it myself, without electricion.

There must be some sort of guide!

Okay i dont no wat the wires are for,
Good start and nothing wrong in admitting lack of knowledge. Now how are you going to gain the knowledge required identify what the cables are and test them?
Answer get a qualified electrician

Its a 2 gang switch,
I suspect that you have not identified which set of connections belong to which switch and are somehow cross wiring them

Any help availble to wire it myself, without electricion.
Or electrocution or fire. I suspect that most electricians here by now nervous of offering advice due to your perceived level of competence

There must be some sort of guide!
There is it is all in the Wiki - if it is not there or not clear you should seek professional help

Unfortunately you made the mistake of taking everything apart without noting where previous cables went ( a mistake I have made as well :oops: ). Without the knowledge and testing equipment suggested getting it all back together and working safely does not seem likely.

So please find yourself an electrician. Have a look Here

Well, tbh,

Id rather save £40-£50

So id need a multimeter if i was to try it my self?

Top Row:
COM: Grey Sleeved/Red
L1= Black
L2= Red Also another red that links to the other L2.

In that order.

Bottom row:
COM: Nothing
L1= Black
L2= Red Also the red that comes from the other L2.

You have two sets of two way.
Therefore if the room is ok but not the stairs.
from what you say it would appear most likely

That You possibly need to leave all the main wires as they are above .

The link however in your case presumably needs to be removed and go from "com" to "com"

The only certain way would be to test the wires, but first you would need to understand the wiring of two way circuits.

Well, tbh,

Id rather save £40-£50
You have been given advice by aptsys, ban-all-sheds,electonicsuk and hairyben some of them suggesting that you call in a qualified electrician. What is the money compared to the potential risk to yourself, members of your family and other innocents?

Your last post about electric double socket //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150587&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
you were advised by aptsys "Please do not continue to use that circuit. Turn off the MCB or take out the fuse (with caution) and call an electrician to repair the damaged cable. This is a serious risk even though the nail has been removed!"

You replied "Haha!

That wtich didnt work anyhow.

Yes its been fixed, I didnt continue on using it,".

Now for some reason I am thinking you did not actually take the advice (hope I am wrong!) and get an electrician in.

Therefore under the circumstances I do not feel I can make any further comments on how you should proceed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back