Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well in the process of changing the light switches to new silver switches.

However the double swithc is being a pain.

I have tried wiring it and it doesnt give the right result, Anyone have any ideas how it should be wired.

It is a double socket.

Its in the living room.
Controls the light in the living room-> Thers also another wtich in that room the contorls the light.

This switch also controls the upstairs landing light.
The upstairs landing switch also has a switch upstairs.

Outcomes of wiring it

Well. The best outcome that has come out of it is:
The living room light works perfectly, And can be controlled by both switches in the room.

The landing light:
Cant be switchedo n from downstairs.
Although works upstairs.

If anyone could tell me how it is wired i would be grateful.
Or if anybody has this type of socket wired in there hosue and wouldnt mind opening it to have a look which way the wires are wired.
Would be gratefully Appreciated!

Sponsored Links
How was it previously connected?

Was there an extra link wire which is now missing?

It seems odd that you can get the landing light to work from upstairs AND the living room light to work perfectly from both switches with what you have there.

Yes, It was previously connected and running pefectly.

I took the old switch off without looking at the way it was wired.

What a silly mistake!

Yes there is an extra wire, And extra red wire which links two wires together, Im aware of that.
That extra wire is being used but is not show in the picture.

Do you no how it is to be wired?

Thanks for any replys!

What config has worked for you so far? It's not possible to know from the wires you have there without testing, but there is a chance the single red is the permanent live (COM) which will also be where the link wire goes, and the red/black pairs are the strappers (L1/L2)

Sponsored Links
Well. Hers another picture:
Top Row:
COM: Grey Sleeved/Red
L1= Black
L2= Red Also another red that links to the other L2.

In that order.

Bottom row:
COM: Nothing
L1= Black
L2= Red Also the red that comes from the other L2.

With this setup.
The living room lights work perfectly from both sockets in that room.

But, The upstairs landing light does not work with this switch.

But if i go upstairs then the and use that scoket then it turns on.

Thats the best setup, Obv theres something connected wrong.

Thanks for your replys!

1) As you would (I hope) with any DIY job, equip yourself with the correct tools. Just as you recognise (I hope) that you should have screwdrivers and a hammer if you want to deal with screws & nails you should have a multimeter if you want to deal with your electrics.

2) Learn how your wiring works - just blindly sticking wires into terminals without a clue as to what they are, why they are there, and how it all ties together is (I hope you'll agree) not the best way to go about things. You'll find details of how lighting circuits are wired, and how 2-way switching works, in the Wiki and the For Reference topic.

1+2 = 3) Once you know what wires should be where and why, and have the means to identify them, you'll be able to get it working how it should.

I know what the wires are for,

But i dont know to well which way round or which terminal they should be connecteed to.

Ive provided enough ,i hope, information for someone to help me out.

Really appreciate any replys,

Also, Should the live be in L2 ior Com?

Thanks

Have you looked on the Wiki as suggested by B.A.S Click Here 2 way Lighting

Do you have the means to identify the wires as suggested? If not then perhaps you should consider employing a qualified electrician (maybe the guy that fixed your double socket issue!). Shouldn't take him long or cost too much - better safe than sorry!

The method I suggested in my previous post should work. (i.e. the link wants to connect COM-COM, all others the same as you have them)

Ok, Thanks for your replys,

Well i thought ill give it a try and perhaps ill be able to do it myself with some help from this forum,

If it doesnt work out, Eventualy, Will have to call someone in.

Aptsys: Your suggesting i should take out the link from the reds and link it in the Com terminals,

Should i leve the grey sleved red also in the com while linking them?

Thanks!

From looking at that wiki 2 way guide thing.

Whats come into mind is:

That the living room wires are connected right in this socket.

But the landing wires are not connected right.
Perhaps by switching around the 2 wires in this socket would make it work?

Am i right there?

Would suggest single red to com along with a link wire to the other com terminal, L1 and L2 to one red/black pair and repeat for the other switch with the remaining wires. I would, however, dispute your comment that you understand what the wires are for - if that were true then you wouldn't be having this problem :)

Also, please decide whether it's a switch or a socket.

Well i thought ill give it a try and perhaps ill be able to do it myself with some help from this forum
You can.

And a lot of the help available here is pre-formed in the Wiki & For Reference topic.

But you have to be prepared to put a bit of effort into helping yourself by taking the trouble to learn things and to get the right tools....

Ok, Thanks for your replys,

Well i thought ill give it a try and perhaps ill be able to do it myself with some help from this forum,

If it doesnt work out, Eventualy, Will have to call someone in.

Aptsys: Your suggesting i should take out the link from the reds and link it in the Com terminals,

Thanks!

Why not invest in a multimeter as has been said?
And research on how to use it for your scenario.
You can get them really cheap.
And in any case, it would be cheaper than getting someone in, and you've got it for future use.

Thanks!

Yes that's right. Leave the red/black pairs in the L1/L2 terminals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back