Seperation of none electrical services

oo7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to change a CU. However the existing CU and cables breaks the 150mm (location of CU to gas pipe) and 50mm (circuit cables into CU) separation rules to mains gas pipe.

I've informed the client of the issue and they've told me that the pipe work is being moved in a few months when the boiler gets replaced. I don't doubt this as the boiler is in a bad position and looks old.

Now my question is can I replace the CU knowing that I've broken the rules and make a note on the EICR and CRIS about the pipe work or should I tell them that the work can't be carried out until the pipe work is removed.

I did offer the option of moving the CU but where the property is a first floor flat rerouting all circuits would be costly.

Cheers,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
Thanks ricicle.

I thought that might be the appropriate way of going about it but just wanted confirmation as I’ve only fitted 3 CU in my short time being a qualified electrician and this would be my first departure from the regs.

Thanks ricicle. I thought that might be the appropriate way of going about it but just wanted confirmation as I’ve only fitted 3 CU in my short time being a qualified electrician and this would be my first departure from the regs.
If it would make you feel more comfortable, I think it would only be necessary to install some sort of 'insulating barrier' (your choice/discretion, I guess) between pipework and CU/cables for it to be compliant with the pipe in its present position.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks ricicle. I thought that might be the appropriate way of going about it but just wanted confirmation as I’ve only fitted 3 CU in my short time being a qualified electrician and this would be my first departure from the regs.
If it would make you feel more comfortable, I think it would only be necessary to install some sort of 'insulating barrier' (your choice/discretion, I guess) between pipework and CU/cables for it to be compliant with the pipe in its present position.

Kind Regards, John

Cheers John. I would have gone with putting the cables in some trunking but the gap between the conductors and gas pipe isn't big enough. The book does talk about wrapping the pipe in a PVC wrap but a quick Google search didn't show me what this is. Any chance you can give me a link to the product they're referring to?

Cheers,
Chris.

If the separation distance is not as required by BS6891, then placing an electrically insulating material between the gas pipework and electrical installation would mean BS6891 is complied with.
In the event that BS6891 guidance cannot be achieved, then a risk assessment will need to be carried out and providing the gas installation aspect of the installation is able to operate safely now and in the future, the situation may be classified as not to current standards.

When the pipes are re-routed the use of a blow torch may be necessary. So give some thought to installing cables where heat from blow torches will not affect ( damage ) the cables.

Cheers John. I would have gone with putting the cables in some trunking but the gap between the conductors and gas pipe isn't big enough. The book does talk about wrapping the pipe in a PVC wrap but a quick Google search didn't show me what this is. Any chance you can give me a link to the product they're referring to?
It's arguably a fairly silly thing for the regs to say - if they're really worried about the proximity, then I'm not sure that a 'PVC wrap' is going to affect many of the theoretical hazards! However, the way it's written, just wrapping with PVC tape might be adequate (the gas regs only require 'an electrically insulating material') - I wonder what others think? [if it were a true 'wrap', like shrink-wrap for example, you'd obviously have to cut the pipe to get it on]

If it were me (and if I were concened), I would probably be inclined to install some sort of plastic sheet between the pipe and cables/CU.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back