Septic tank woes

LABC should/may have been informed of an alteration to the drains or the installation of a new septic tank.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all comments and suggestions much appreciated, couldn't flush the drains for various reasons no keys, water turned off etc ect, talking to a local I do not believe that there is any other tank installed, the old guy that lived there was like a recluse never visited by anyone bit sad really.
So I will get a survey done and at least I will have a written report as to what's going on, I will post an update when it's done for those of you that would like to know as it is a bit of a mystery and its nice to have a conclusion....thanks once again for your help and interest...

A settlement tank that has had very little water flowing through it and has not been maintained can develop a hard crust on the surface. Apparently these can become several inches thick and give the appearance that the tank is full of dried material. The advice is not to stand on it. I do not know whether a septic tank can develop a similar crust.

Yes, they can develop a blanket of sludge, which on first inspection looks hard. It wont hold any weight though, and usually hides several feet of water below.

I would also advise against entry into any underground chamber, particularly if it's had previous use for effluent disposal without testing for noxious gases first. Hydrogen Sulphide can kill in seconds in high enough concentrations, and at that level it deadens the sense of smell very quickly too so you dont even realise....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back