Septic Tank repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope this is the best place to post?

We have a septic tank near to the house as we are not on main drainage system.

When opened up for cleaning the Septic tank inner "lid" has fallen into the actual tank and sits on the floor.

I think this should be held up by the opening to separate solids from liquids so that the soakaway only lets liquids through

It appears that some simple wires have rotten and snapped thus the lid has now fallen in.

Does anyone or has anyone had these wires repaired at all and any idea of cost?

Its basically the equivalent of coathanger style wire which holds the "lid" up near to the opening?

Sponsored Links
This is quite a frequent problem with that type of septic tank in my experience. Suggestions would be either contact Klargester (manufacturers) or there is a company called Kee Services who I have come across in the past and I believe offer a repair service.

Cant give you any idea on costs im afraid, however im sure anyone able to repair it would be happy to give an estimate for the works. It is something I would say needs sorting out ASAP, the purpose of the divider in the tank is to keep the thickest of the sludge in the bottom hemisphere of the tank. There is a danger if left in its current state that suspended solids can enter the soakaway system and cause it to block and cease functioning....

Thanks - couldnt get anything for Klargester though - website down??

I have tried Kee.

Is this something that I could do myself?

Lift up the lid and attach the wires myself?

Sponsored Links
That's even more reason to look at an alternative.

You can try and effect a repair yourself. I would be extremely wary about physically entering the tank as it could be harbouring gases that could suffocate you. One method is to tie a rope around a length of wood, lower it through the hole in the divider and pull it back into position. This assumes its still circular though, i've seen some that have distorted.

Ideally the steel wires need replacing IMO as the air in the tank tends to corrode them hence they snap....

Klargester seem to have undergone a name change. New website here:
www.kingspanenv.com/pollutiongb/index.htm

Buckaroo did you post your heading that way cause you dont think it will work

I think it is just the wires yes, and no i dont intend to get inside the sceptic tank...! :LOL:

It does look like a round top so yes lowering a broom or peice of wood would bring this to the surface

Good luck with it! I think the wires are usually fitted as a result of a previous repair after divider has fallen in, pretty sure they weren't made with the wires fitted.

Not seen any with stainless wires, though probably a superior solution. The later versions were a different design, the access hole in the divider for desludging was brought up to the top with a 'neck', this neck being held centrally with metal stays.

I saw the new title for this posting and thought that the OP was no longer a sceptic.

Evidently thats not the case and its just Mod 11 has too much time on his hands now that we dont see BB/Water Systems/Drivel.

Tony

what do you expect fae plumbers...............

glad i done 4 years in college........lavvy wrestlers!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back