Anyone got a waste treatment plant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our sewerage relies on a septic tank and buried drainage pipes, I think we have a big fiberglass tank 20-30 years old.

Someone told me, or maybe it was on the web, that no septic tank meets building regulations these days (no idea how reliable) which made me wonder what we'd do should it ever need replacing or upgrading.
I came across these residential treatment plants which apparently produce water that can be drained into regular soakaways or even into a stream, unlike septic tanks which require a drainage field.

Just curious really, has anyone here got one of these or fitted one? Any experiences what fitting one is like would be interesting to hear.

Sponsored Links
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/general-binding-rules-small-sewage-discharge-to-a-surface-water

I'd think all the treatment plants would require an electricity supply, the method of operation varies, but personally, if you're looking at changing, the Klargester Biodisc is the superior design. Small electric motor, driving a series of plastic discs via a belt, provided the bearings are lubricated regularly, it only leaves the motor and belt to cause an issue. Both can probably be replaced be a competent DIYer.

As long as it is desludged regularly and looked after in terms of the discharge to the tank, then it should happily give many years of trouble free operation. other types rely of compressed air to help treat the effluent, but these can be more problematic I believe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back