Are package sewage treatments plants the best off mains option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen a plot of land for sale semi rural which has no mains sewage. It's 80m down hill from a road that has a sewer running the opposite direct so joining into it isn't an option. Planning dept. and united utilities aren't ever keen on systems that pump up hill and they also work out expensive.

Theres no rivers/becks close by so the only option i can see from reading is a septic tank or package sewage treatment plant into a soakaway. Everything ive read says that however good you look after a septic tank, 10-20 years down the line even with good soil, it will eventually fail due to the soil clogging up.

Do you then need to have more space to dig another large hole to reinstall to?
Is it best to just give this plot a wide birth and look for another with mains sewerage?

Sponsored Links
Septic tanks always have their limitations, but there's no reason why a properly installed plant shouldn't continue to give many years of reliable service. Be aware, there are new stricter rules coming into force, covering the discharge from septic tanks, https://www.gov.uk/permits-you-need-for-septic-tanks and these are also being applied retrospectively.

The effectiveness of any soakaway is governed to a great extent by the type of ground it's in, and the height of the water table. Northamptonshire area is predominantly clay, the number of tanks I've seen where the soakaway is actually acting in reverse, and draining the surrounding ground back into the tank!

The cause of clogged soakaways is often poor maintenance of the tank. This is where package treatment plants come into their own as the final effluent, (assuming the system is operating as per design), is a lot cleaner, with a lower level of suspended solids. Traditional septic tanks rely completely on settlement and bacterial actions, desludging is often neglected, wit the result the outgoing final effluent has a higher level of suspended solids, which just go on to clog up the soakaway.

If pumping isn't an option, then a septic tank/package plant is a perfectly acceptable solution, but regular maintenance is essential to prolong the life of the system, and long term, reduce running costs.

I've not seen them Vortex pumps before i'll have to have a read up on them more. I've had a look at the Klargester biodisc which seems like a good idea depending on how good the ground is after digging some test holes. They are quite pricey though. No mains gas also means LPG or biomass so it could end up a pricey build and to maintain. I'll do some more reading. I was under the impression if a tank fails and the ground leaches that the soils ruined and you need a new hole dug elsewhere but seems that you can just dig out the old stones and ground and repair it. (not that it's cheap or easy).

Sponsored Links
There are various pumps available for moving sewage, Mono, Sulzer, Flyght/Xylem are some of the others. Obviously, you will also need to install a rising main from the pump station to a suitable point where it can discharge into a gravity sewer.

If a septic tank is the preferred option, then you need to bear in mind that virtually every drop that goes into it, needs to come out of it. The Biodisc is a tried an tested method, (personally prefer them to the Biotech type, with a compressor as there's less to go wrong), thousands are still in use throughout the country. I work for a Utility company, and we have a number of the larger versions treating flows from entire villages. Either type though will require a power supply.

Ultimately the effluent from any septic tank wont do the soil any long term damage, (the soil is the final destination for treated sewage sludge anyway), the primary concern is to prevent it entering any watercourse or aquifer, and it can cause massive environmental impact, killing any living organism in/along the polluted section. Biggest problem is with unclarified effluent, it will block up the soil structure, and eventually render the soakaway/leachfield useless. Ideally a pumped or siphonic system needs to be employed, to 'dose' the final effluent into the outlet and help disperse it through the system, rather than a constant trickle from the tank.

Lastly, septic tanks rely heavily on natural processes to break down the waste, these processes need looking after. Too much throughput, over use of detergents, cleaning chemicals etc, will not do the bacteria any favours and will hinder/prevent the processes from working properly or at all. A dead tank will quickly result in major problems and a bunged up soakaway.

There are various pumps available for moving sewage, Mono, Sulzer, Flyght/Xylem are some of the others. Obviously, you will also need to install a rising main from the pump station to a suitable point where it can discharge into a gravity sewer.

If a septic tank is the preferred option, then you need to bear in mind that virtually every drop that goes into it, needs to come out of it. The Biodisc is a tried an tested method, (personally prefer them to the Biotech type, with a compressor as there's less to go wrong), thousands are still in use throughout the country. I work for a Utility company, and we have a number of the larger versions treating flows from entire villages. Either type though will require a power supply.

Ultimately the effluent from any septic tank wont do the soil any long term damage, (the soil is the final destination for treated sewage sludge anyway), the primary concern is to prevent it entering any watercourse or aquifer, and it can cause massive environmental impact, killing any living organism in/along the polluted section. Biggest problem is with unclarified effluent, it will block up the soil structure, and eventually render the soakaway/leachfield useless. Ideally a pumped or siphonic system needs to be employed, to 'dose' the final effluent into the outlet and help disperse it through the system, rather than a constant trickle from the tank.

Lastly, septic tanks rely heavily on natural processes to break down the waste, these processes need looking after. Too much throughput, over use of detergents, cleaning chemicals etc, will not do the bacteria any favours and will hinder/prevent the processes from working properly or at all. A dead tank will quickly result in major problems and a bunged up soakaway.
Excellent info, backs up a lot on what i've read today. thanks for the pump info. as well as i've not heard of them brands of pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back