Sewage Treatment Plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I share a septic tank that is located on my neighbours property. It's an ancient brick one that's probably not compliant anymore but my neighbour doesn't want to get it inspected. I've had some installers round to discuss installing a small sewage treatment plant on my own property and cutting off my access to the shared septic tank.

There are so many rules that it's proving impossible to find a suitable location for one. I live next to a stream so that's the main problem as I don't have much land. Do these rule seem a bit over the top? How many people have that much land? The installers are willing to bend the rules but I've had too many issues with house sales to go down that route. If you break the rules even slightly, the solicitors don't let it drop when you try to sell your house.

IMG_1183.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The rules are stringent for a reason.

In generall as far as I know the main rules are:
  1. It must be a minimum of 10 metres from any water source, such as a stream or river.
  2. It must be at least 50 metres from any spring, well, or borehole used to supply water for any purpose.
  3. It must be 15 metres from any building, and 2 metres from any boundary.
  4. The sewage must be domestic in nature.
  5. The plant must be maintained regularly by a professional.
  6. You must have an Environment Agency permit if you release (discharge) treated sewage to a water source (like a stream).

So if you think you will fair better with the EA than your neighbour, good luck.

Thanks, those rules are slightly different than the ones I posted above. The 3 installers I had round all quoted slightly different rules too. However, they all said it has to be 7m from a habitable part of a building, not the 15m you mention. The buidling regs say 7m for a septic tank and 7m for a cesspool but it's not clear for sewage treatment plants: https://assets.publishing.service.g...achment_data/file/442889/BR_PDF_AD_H_2015.pdf

I guess I can't have a sewage treatment plant installed then so I'll have to stick with the shared septic tank. Seems odd that the rules prevent people from trying to do the right thing.

Sponsored Links
I incorrectly assumed that a modern sewage treatment plant would be better for the environment than an ancient septic tank. Also, the neighbours are a pain when it comes to emptying and maintenance so I wanted my own STP on my own property.

The existing septic tank doesn’t discharge into a stream so it’s fine in that regard. Also it turns out I don’t need to worry about the standards because “If your treatment system was installed before 1983 you do not need to do anything to meet the British Standard”.

There isn’t a legal location on my property for a STP so it’s a moot point now. Cheapest quote for one was £15K so I’m glad I didn’t go ahead!

just a thought
i have no clue as to the answer but a general point
"you jointly share" to me suggest even iff you disconnect your side you will still go halfers on running costs repairs and emptying ??
but as i say just a guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back