Serious question here (old septic tank)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At my workshop-- there is a disused septic tank. 3 chambers.
Must be over 100 years old--maybe more.
Few weeks ago- a delivery wagon with a heavy load drove over it and caused a lump of concrete from the cover to collapse into the chamber (2nd chamber).
Chamber was 2/3rds full of water -- and as I looked into it- there was a car/van wheel complete with tyre floating.
Because the hole is only about 30cm diameter --it is obviuos tyre has been there since tank was constructed.

i really am confues as to why a wheel/tyre is there !!.
anyone any ideas please ??.

ps - before the smart quips start arriving -- No it isn't a BBS alloy wheel :LOL:

also- need to get it filled in or sorted asap.

Sponsored Links
When you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains, no matter how improbable, is still an effing mystery :LOL: :LOL:

Few weeks ago- a delivery wagon with a heavy load drove over it and caused a lump of concrete from the cover to collapse into the chamber (2nd chamber).
Chamber was 2/3rds full of water -- and as I looked into it- there was a car/van wheel complete with tyre floating.
Because the hole is only about 30cm diameter --it is obviuos tyre has been there since tank was constructed.

ps - before the smart quips start arriving -- No it isn't a BBS alloy wheel :LOL:

prevent ice formation??

So what sort of wheel/tyre did they have 100 years ago? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
So what sort of wheel/tyre did they have 100 years ago? :rolleyes:

Dunno Joe-- couldnt get it out -- 12'' hole and approx 30'' wheel/tyre..(could be bigger).
My workshop is a old shippon on a ex farm.

I did see writing on side of tyre though- 235/45/ 17 :LOL:

(just a joke joe)

After being in water for a hundred years it would have sunk. Did they have blow ups in those days? (not dolls)

After being in water for a hundred years it would have sunk. Did they have blow ups in those days? (not dolls)

Funny you should say it must have sunk-- coz- some days I see it and some days I dont .
It's a pretty big tank though.And only a ikkle hole to peep inside.
probably 10' wide each chamber and 4' length to next chamber .

Not safe to leave it as it is-- if someone drove a vehicl on top of it-- splash !!
Concrete has a few mild steel rusty strips in the top.

prevent ice formation??

Good point Eddie- but truth is- I dont know .

Have to say though I have seen a few frozen lakes with tyres frozen on top.

show us a photo

cant-- its only a ikkle hole.

Just stick the camera in the hole with flash enabled and snap a few dozen images.
You should get at least one decent image of the wheel.

What difference does it make what make or type of tyre it is ?.
Fact is- it could only have got there when the tank was built.

I'g guess it isn't a Nanking .or any other korean make .
but- I will for sure make a point of finding out though .

How can you be sure of the age of the tank and/or the concrete lid to it?

What difference does it make what make or type of tyre it is ?.

If its an alloy wheel and the tank is one hundred years old then it was hardly put there when the tank was built.
If on the other hand it has spokes then maybe possible.

How can you be sure of the age of the tank and/or the concrete lid to it?

The house was built in 1697. In fact- it was built as a catholic chapel. Even has a priesthole'. Walls are almost 900mm thick and filled with straw. It was then a working farm from mid 1800s.
The barn including shippon (where my w/shop is) was built in mid 1800s too.
Drain that flows from my w/shop is bunged up-- . No human foul ever went from my w/shop to it-- just cow sh!te etc.
Not been a working farm for 20 years.
Construction is all concrete- old concrete.
Tops are 4'' thick max. re-bar is 1'' x 1/4 ''. Hardly any in it though.
The lady who lived there all her life died at xmas. I spoke to her sons (eldest 57 years old) and he said he cant remember anything being done to tank as long as he's lived. He worked on the farm.
It's old .

Sponsored Links
Back