Serious question here (old septic tank)

What difference does it make what make or type of tyre it is ?.

If its an alloy wheel and the tank is one hundred years old then it was hardly put there when the tank was built.
If on the other hand it has spokes then maybe possible.

No spokes. It is a pressed steel wheel.

I am sure it was put in there for a reason . I just want to find out what that reason was . I am just curious.

I'd bet some really old man would know ?.
Maybe ask Andy hearts drainage huh ?.

Sponsored Links
What do you do in the workshop? Just curious. :D

i really am confues as to why a wheel/tyre is there !!.
anyone any ideas please ??.

Well it`s a farm slurry settlement tank - not a septic tank . Only think I can thing of is it was put in there in case the water froze in a hard winter , and they didn`t want the ice to exert pressure on the sides - like you float a ball in a fishpond ;) Hertsdrainage is my "son " :mrgreen:

What do you do in the workshop? Just curious. :D

haaha- that is a question.
But- no big deal- It's one of my businesses.
It is brick fabrication --in simple terms- cut and bonded bricks, blocks,slip bricks, arches etc etc . , for public and trade . Have had it for almost 20 years.
All other companies who do it- dont last long . Very limited market .

Sponsored Links
i really am confues as to why a wheel/tyre is there !!.
anyone any ideas please ??.

Well it`s a farm slurry settlement tank - not a septic tank . Only think I can thing of is it was put in there in case the water froze in a hard winter , and they didn`t want the ice to exert pressure on the sides - like you float a ball in a fishpond ;) Hertsdrainage is my "son " :mrgreen:

Thanks Nige, but- in second chamber of tank- the overflow level does not go up to the top--so plenty of room for expansion--I'd guess.?? correct me if I am wrong .

HD your son ?? :LOL:

I want to see a photo.

I recognise "artillery wheels" when I see them. I can't think of anything older that would have an inflatable tyre. I presume the rubber is black, not white?

I have a feeling that when we see it, it will be less than a hundred years old.

The chambers would have removable lids anyway, so the tanks could be cleaned out.....I guess someone's just having a larf.
John :)

I want to see a photo.

I recognise "artillery wheels" when I see them. I can't think of anything older that would have an inflatable tyre. I presume the rubber is black, not white?

I have a feeling that when we see it, it will be less than a hundred years old.

Yeh- thinking about it John- you are most likely correct.
Tyre is black.
I'll try and have a good look when i'm there this morning.

No removable lids on 2nd or 3rd chambers though. But I suspect the first chamber may have had one at one time- seeing as there is a approx metre square patch on it .

We like photos!!

I bet you do !! ;)

Just got back from workshop- I fished the wheel/tyre to where I could see it through the small hole- .
Defo a steel wheel--tyre is mishapen (concave on one side and convex on other -i flipped it over so I could see).
Looks sort of like a small tractor wheel. Couldnt see any writing on tyre .

All septic tanks have to be emptied and that includes all chambers, every year, (though a lot of tanks go 30 years before the owners empty them!). They must, therefore, have an access to all chambers. Sometimes it means that the entire concrete slab top has to be slid aside and I would guess that when this was done, someone on the farm who had the job of getting rid of an old tyre, threw it in the tank before the lid was slid back.

Septic tank gases include Hydrogen Sulphide which turns into Sulphuric Acid on contact with a damp surface and air. This gradually eats its way into the fabric of the concrete, destroying the cement until the lids have no stregnth left. Every year, many people die when septic tank lids collapse - even under the weight of a person - so it is vital that the tank is checked and, if not used anymore, emptied and filled in before a worse accident happens in the future.

It can be serious mate. I had a survey once to find the location of the cesspool. I found it when I pulled onto a disused part of the stackyard and lost a front wheel into the tank!. I made sure that the farmer pulled me out very carefully!

Sponsored Links
Back