service pack 3 removes outlook express

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help............... :confused: :confused: :confused:

when I do the new security updates called service pack 3 it totally removes my emails i.e. outlook express I loose everything.

I have done a system restore back a week, that resolved, it but when I did the update again, thinking it was a blip the first time, it has removed it again.........

anyone tell me how to keep it

apart from the obvious of not doing the security patch, but then will my computer be venerable ????

Sponsored Links
I can't say i've seen the problem. What do you mean when you say OE has been removed? Shortcut missing, application missing? Can you find Outlook Express in your Program Files folder?

First thing to do is Backup OE Mail, Address Book, Mail Rules and Blocked Senders List. Instructions here:
http://www.pchell.com/support/backupoe.shtml

Then compact all OE Files:
Open OE -> Tools -> Options -> Maintainance -> Clean up now -> click Compact.
DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THE COMPUTER WHILST IT IS COMPACTING.

Then Download and install:
Ccleaner

Set Up Instructions:
Setting Up Ccleaner
Follow the instructions and run the scans and cleans.

Ccleaner is a good program to keep even after this clean up, so I would recommend not uninstalling it once everything is OK.

Next, go to Microsoft Updates:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
And select the Custom Scan.
When it has scanned it may offer you other updates as well as SP3. Click to untick these this time, as you do not want any other updates coming down at the same time as SP3, just to make it easier to do.

That should get SP3 installed without any further trouble.

dave

Sponsored Links
cheers dave you are a star............:cool: :cool:

I have done everything you said and my computer is running alot quicker now, that programme found 1400 errors...........

cheers again

chezzer :D :D :D :D :D

Glad it turned out fine.

Can I suggest that you run the Ccleaner about once a fortnight, just the Cleaner and the Registry, as in the set up instructions. It will keep on top of temporary files and other bits that are no longer any use.

A further bit of help is a decent defragmenter instead of Windows Defrag, which normally takes ages.
Defraggler is from the same stable as Ccleaner and is a very good program as well as being FREE.
http://www.defraggler.com/
When you analyze before defragging, if you select the file view you can see which files are defragmented the most.
You will also see a lot of files named System Volume Information. Don't worry, as these are all system restore points that have been defragmented when saved as a restore point.

dave

cheers dave

yes it is very worrying when you think don't need that and it comes up with the warning " deleting this may hard you computer and certain things will not run " or something to that effect

I bet I have loads of stuff on here that I can delete but that message comes up and I think, oh no, bet not

:confused:

Anything Ccleaner finds in the 'Cleaner' scan is only temporary files and cookies that you do not need so let it clean them.
In the registry check, it will make a backup for you, save it to My Documents and then let it remove all it finds.
Never ever had a problem with it removing stuff but you can, in the very remote occasion, replace what it remove from the backup.
If after a week your pc is running fine, you can delete the folder that it setup in My Docucments.

If your PC has not had a decent defrag for months then you will notice the difference immediately.

dave

Sponsored Links
Back