service s in one hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building my house and i have to dig for the services can any one tell me if the services can go in the same trench i have water gas and electric. I know the water has to be below 750 mm deep and the electric only 450 mm deep but I don't know about gas.

Sponsored Links
You have to separate your buried services by at least 300mm in every direction..

Don't know which reg it is, but your LABC will insist..

it's the services that will insist, not sure if it's a hard and fast building reg..

saw one program where some guy talked the suppliers into letting him put the ducts into one trench..

seen them in the pavements anyway.. they're lying on top of each other, gas on top of lecky, cable on top of the water, trafic lights on top of everything..

tookem 4 weeks to dig round it all by hand to widen the road..

Sponsored Links
thanks guys

next : where do you get gas pipe from or do they supply it
I have the ducting shell i lay that and let them supply the pipe

Ask them what size as well.

e.g. Severn Trent used to stipulate pipe diameter - wopuld not connect it if it was wriong size.

Admittedly this was 28 years ago but all our services except gas are in one trench, water, electric, phone and pumped sewage.

Dug the 60 metre long trench deep enough for the water pipe and laid in ducts for phone and electricity cables to be pulled in.

All services MUST be at the same depth in a shared trench.

Talking to the various suppliers about having services in a shared trench can save a lot of trench work.

There are concerns about gas pipes sharing trenches with other services as gas from a leaking pipe may travel along the routes of the other services and appear in buildings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back