Plug socket height! Am I going to jail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed sixteen plug socket spur holes all below 450 mm before I found about about this regulation (they should be above this level so disabled people can reach them...)

What are the consequences for me?

Am I going to jail? Do I need to redo this or does no one really care? Any problems when selling?

Sponsored Links
obmitty said:
I have installed sixteen plug socket spur holes all below 450 mm before I found about about this regulation (they should be above this level so disabled people can reach them...)

Am I going to jail? Do I need to redo this or does no one really care? Any problems when selling?

Where did you install them?

firstly the full regulation only applies to new installations, with existing installations you only have to make things no worse than they were before.

secondly from what i can gather (unlike with part P i haven't checked out this one in detail) the regulation doesn't actually require those heights only that reasonable provision is made for disabled people, those heights are merely guidance on one method of complying with that requirement.

Sponsored Links
Its in an old house with other sockets already present at just above skirting level, just only one upstairs.

One other question, there is one socket run off a spur from downstairs. Should I spur it from the new upstairs ring main to keep the upstairs all on one circuit?

Thanks guys.

It is always safer to have all sockets on one floor (or in one area, like a workroom or kitchen) on the same circuit.

Otherwise someone will think they have cut the power and go in with the drill and cutters, or take sockets off for decorating, and hit a live wire. I discovered one like that in my own house, but luckily it was RCD protected. I have a friend who found one and grabbed the P&N because he thought it was safe :rolleyes:

Otherwise you can fix a durable lable, but it will probably be cleaned off or ignored.

obmitty said:
I have installed sixteen plug socket spur holes all below 450 mm .....
......Any problems when selling?
the height of the sockets has been addressed (ie for newbuilds and complete renovations and just good practice after that). but if you have installed 16 sockets and are questioning the problems when selling its quite possible you havent heard of part P to which you must comply -have a look in the wiki.

If its not difficult to do so then its certainly a good idea to rewire the existing socket upstairs into the new upstairs cuircuit.

if not then you should at least make sure you keep a clear record of what circuit the socket is on so that you know what to turn off when working on it in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back