Socket inside kitchen unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to put in an above worktop FCU in the kitchen ring circuit and from this I intend to run a 2.5mm cable to a spurred socket below worktop level, so I can plug in the washing machine. Does the socket have to be attached to the wall or can I attach it to the inside of the kitchen unit? I want to avoid cutting a large hole in the back of the unit to access the socket and instead just have a hole for the cable. Am I breaking any rules/regulations by doing this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A washing machine in a unit? Why?

Most of the washers I have seen are 600mm wide, designed to go in the place of a 600mm cupboard. Get a concealed washer, and the door and plinth can match, but it doesn't need the extra expense of a unit.

Sponsored Links
if you put the socket in one of the adjacent units, if you have any, you wont need to pull the wahser out any time you need to unplug it. e.g. when the fuse in the plug blows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back