Location of socket and isolator switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See attached image. This socket is for a gas hob that will be in the kitchen unit (with drawers) that goes in front of here. The switch next to it is an isolator for a spur off the ring circuit, the cable for which runs up the wall for an extractor hood.

The switch and socket could remain here if I cut a hole in the thin back of the Ikea unit that's going there, so could be accessed by pulling out a drawer.

My question is, is this acceptable or should they be relocated to somewhere more accessible, ie above the worktop?

Attachments

• 20201229_095130.jpg
    20201229_095130.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
It's our house. Access to this will be rare as the hob only needs power to create a spark and the extractor has its own power switch of course.

I'm installing the kitchen myself and had a spark rewire it a couple of months back. I think he found it very tricky due to the 1950s post-war bomb-proof walls!

Totally common and standard. The only sticky bit is that hidden socket shouldn't really be used as a safe zone indicator (for buried cables)- if all the cables are buried below worktop height then less of an issue.
Well worth marking hob, extractor inconspicuously (but where anyone working on them will look- inside the filter area on the extract, under the hob where cable entry is) and the drawer in question.

Sponsored Links
Do you intend to the wire the gas ignition into that big switch on the left, or are you thinking of replacing it for a plug and socket, or a fused connection unit?

I’d just write on the cupboard backing, socket and fan iso behind here

You probably don’t want a hole behind your draw

You could mark out a cut out area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back