Servicing a boiler help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler that is about 18 years old and I had it serviced round about this time last year by a local CORGI registered heating engineer that I found in the local newspaper.

He never offered, and I never asked, for any certificate or paperwork for doing the work.

My question is this :

Are there any legal issues that he SHOULD have given me a certificate at the time of the service or is issuing some kind of certificate / paperwork purely up to the individual engineer ?

Sponsored Links
For his records he should have filled out a service/maintenance and left you your copy!!

It might have been nice, but there's absulutely NO legal, or even Corgi, requirement to do that. I've never issued more than an invoice for servicing a boiler.

Sponsored Links
It is in his interests to leave a service sheet, as proof of what was done if anything untoward happens afterwards.

Just another way to save 15 mins of paperwork at the end of the job, usually spent having a cuppa and chat with the customer I hasten to add ;)

If its a modern boiler with a Benchmark Certificate filled in then I fill in the service record on that.

Otherwise I just give an invoice which details the work done and any issues arising.

If the client required a formal Certificate then I would charge about £25 extra. Thats mostly because I know from experience there is usually a hidden agenda when a Certificate is required and it is likely to involve protracted telephone discussions with an EHO or tenant afterwards.

Tony

If the client required a formal Certificate then I would charge about £25 extra. Thats mostly because I know from experience there is usually a hidden agenda when a Certificate is required and it is likely to involve protracted telephone discussions with an EHO or tenant afterwards. Tony

Why?

You surprise me Tony, I always imagined you to be more professional with your customer approach than this :confused:

I always give a proper service sheet/gas safety certificate on every job, even if I have completed the benchmark log each time. The only ones I charge extra for are CP12's.

Dave, you work in sleepy Norfolk where your customers always pay and you have more time to spend and working is less stressful.

In London its a wild world. Less than about 50% of Landlords have Gas Safety certificates and about 30% of boilers are fitted by unregistered people.

Landlords try their best not to pay and even owners sometimes stop cheques because they are short of money and the mortgage comes first.

Many boiler repairers dont even give any receipt and anyone doing a service would never give a Certificate unless it was for an HA or some similar body who insist on one.

We only charge £55 for a service on most boilers. Transferred to Norwich prices thats probably the equivalent of £45. You probably charge much more than that which can account for why you always issue a Certificate.

Londoners have many extra living costs and certainly dont want to pay any more than the minimum for boiler work.

By the way, I dont have time to stop for a cuppa AFTER the job is completed. I need every minute to get back into the traffic jams!

Tony

Point taken, yes I am £55/£60 + VAT for a service. and expect to do around 6 per day, but also I find it important to build the relationship between myself and each customer, hence the cuppa.

Most of my customers will always stop me in the street and have a chat, asking after me and my family etc. It keeps me busy.

My service price is £60 wall hung and £85 BBU !!

Does anybody else charge extra for BBU's?

And yes I fill a ticket every time and leave their copy with them ,, thats just my policy as I want a decent record for covering MY back side ;)

We also charge £85 for a BBU and even thats only if its apparently in a safe working condition.

If its all sooted up then thats a repair and about £115 upwards!

Dave, In London it takes on average about an hour to travel and find a parking place, so six jobs would mean seven hours travelling! Of course thats less if you only work in a limited area.

Chris R seems to go miles to do jobs and must take about two hours to get to Hackney! But then he also seems to charge for travelling time!

Tony

Can I just say, talking about these sort of prices is fine but why do we get involved with OP quoted prices ??

Most of my customers will always stop me in the street and have a chat, asking after me and my family etc. It keeps me busy.

That just demonstrates how small and sleepy a place you live/work in!

I have only ONCE met a customer by chance and that was at a tube station.

There are just too many people in London, 17 million in fact, and the chance of meeting anyone in the street is negligible.

I did meet a friend in ASDA by chance last year though.

I also met someone from England who I knew on the water front in Tel Aviv about 1987 !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back