Servicing a shower mixer

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
this has a slight drip out of the head. It seems to be a conventional mixer without thermostat. I would like to take it apart, descale it, fit new "O" rings where needed, lube with silicone - a DIY service hopefully without needing to buy a new cartridge. Brand name is John Sydney but this version does not seem to be on their website.

I am hoping that the "dismantle and service" is something I can do myself. I presume I clamp the body firmly and unscrew the big nut under the lever? then see what I find? Any other advice?

TVM

View media item 10990

Sponsored Links
it is actually a modern one dressed up to look "traditional"

the elbows contain "O" rings so you can turn them to suit the supply pipes, and they also have plastic non-return valves inside, which seems good.

Hello!

As you say, this basically looks very like loads of other recent shower mixers, albeit in a "retro" presentation.

Dripping on these is often caused by nothing more than knackered O-rings. They tend to stick to the brass body and cartridge then get mangled when the control is operated.

I would have thought that disassembly would be easy enough, though obviously, you need to be careful of all that chrome plating.

Have you tried e-mailing the company?

Try http://www.showerspares.com/ for O-ring kits etc. Very professional and personal service, and not expensive. You get to speak to a real "expert" on the phone, not just some 16-year old in front of a computer.

C.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the link, Chris

I already have a box set of common "O" rings, also non-corrosive descaler, silicone grease etc so am quite inclined to take it apart and see. However as i have never taken one apart before I was not too confident about getting my big spanner on it.

Any other tips? Or should i just undo that big nut and trry to pull the works out? It seems that John Sydney are part of the Bristan group but the website says JS showers are designed and made in Italy, so I suppose the internal parts may be different. I can't find an exploded diagram for this one.

hello

i have two mixers fitted that match yours exactly and your post is only place on web i have found a picture. i am not a plumber but fairly handy and trying to work out whether both mine need servicing as water only luke warm.

so basically advice if you are still out there. did you take yours apart. are they Thermostatic.

please help if poss

jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back