servis problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got exactly the same problem, a Service 'Caress 1000 A'. Filter was a bit blocked so I cleaned it out.
Will not fill or spin. Water switched on,
filter and pipes cleaned,
Pressure switch appears to work if you suck and blow through it
It runs through the programme and the drum turns.
It will pump out if I fill it manually though
I wiggled all the electrical connections, I even cleaned out the soap dispenser!
What else is there???

Can anyone help??

Sponsored Links
Chis I'm no expert on washing machines, but the inlet valves are the first port of call. They are solinoid operated, so either there is no power at the valves or the valves are faulty. I would suspect the coils maybe the the problem. You can detach the wires (with power off) and test the coils for continuity. It may pay to switch coils (or valves), because I understand the hot valve is only used for washes above 60 so I,m thinking it's the coil on the cold valve that is at fault.
I don't know if you can buy just a coil or if you have to buy the whole valve.
I see you filled the machine manually, but when it needs more water for the rinsing and the valve does not work then it will affect the rest of the programme I would think.
Yes I'm a betting man, so my money says 'faulty coil on cold valve'
Now watch me be wrong!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks Mandate, I'll swop the coils over so I may get a cold fill.
But would this affect the failing to spin problem?

I'll post the result here

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No, sorry that didn't work, I swapped the wired from one coil to the other but still no action, either inlet or on the spin side, but it was worth a try. I'm sure it's something simple but what?

Chris76
please see 10a and 20 in forum rules
please see

Chris! I'm still convinced the problem is valve related, unless there's a tap you've not opened.

I would have thought the problem was the coil, based of past problems I've had, but I suppose it could be a wiring problem

However I don't think changing the wire proves anything conclusive.(other than it did not work )
So you need a logical approach to prove what is ok and what is not!
(a) So do we have power going to the solinoid?
(b) Is the circuit completed apart from the coil?
(c) Is the coil winding complete?
(d) does the valve operate using a separate power supply (on a bench test )
Do you have the means to test these?

Sponsored Links
Hi Mandate,
I understand what you are saying and I can test the circuit this morning, but how does this affect the machine not spinning?

Reading other problems, it seems to revolve around the 'pressure pipe and switch' the problem being if they are not functioning properly the machine thinks it still has water in it and will not fill or spin.

It was working OK, both filling and spinning. I've had all the pipework off and cleaned it out, however, I did find a mouse had set up home next to a circuit board, whilst I cannot see any damage to this, could there have been a short circuit or something?

chris76

Hi Chris! I wish I knew the answer to the spinning problem as I am currently trying to solve a similar problem on my daughters Servis machine.
The pressure vessel is a means of compressing air in the pipe which pushes on a diaphram and operates one or more switches which control the amount of water in the machine, according to which programme was selected.
I'm working on the basis that you need to get the inlet of water sorted first and it may well resolve your spin problem. But don't count on it! I don't have any inlet problem.
With respect to spinning I am thinking of (a) worn brushes (b) loose connection (c) faulty Tacho coil.
Let us know if you solve your problem.

Hi, it's me :cry:

I've been through everything again and I managed to get a cold 'fill' on one programme, but still no spinning so I suspect it will now be the programmer or the circuit board that has a fault.

Looks like I may have to call out the washing machine repair man! :evil:

Thanks for all the useful suggestions though, I think this is a great site, I just need someone to sort out my water softener now!!! but that's another story

Chris76

Hi Chris! From what I've been reading the spinning problem could well be related to the circuit board module which works in conjunstion with the tacho coil on the motor, so thats something else to consider.

Well you've made a little headway! with the cold fill, You need a program that requires 90 or 60 degrees I understand to get a hot fill. So it does look more like the circuit board, I don't think the programmers give that many problems, but that's just my opinion.

Hi,

Thanks Keith, good idea, but I've checked all the connections for dry joints already,
Thanks Mandate, I think it must be the circuit board, I don't know how hard they are to find but I'll give it a try before I give up totally.

I suppose I shouldn't complain, I worked out we've had the machine for about 6 years and I bought it second hand for £60!! This is the first thing that's gone wrong with it, and the rest of it looks like new, even the belt's in good nick!

The trouble is we've got used to it and it'll be a shame to see it go

Anyway thanks for all your help everyone, I'll let you know whether it gets repaired or becomes my new 'patio heater'
chris76

Chris! Just been looking at www.emwelec.co.uk which you may find interesting. I do appear to have solved my spinning problem, by resoldering a couple of poor joints on the module.

Mandate, just in the nick of time!

You may have saved my machine from the fate of becoming a patio heater (shown in the picture above)

Thanks for the info, I priced up the module on another site online and it was priced at £195!!!!! :eek: The site you suggested is £25 inc VAT and p&p! :D
I've ordered a new module so I'll let you know what happens

chris76

Old drums do have their uses. I used the domed back section to make a Chinese hat type cowl for a chimney pot, using strips cut from the sides and folded over to make brackets to attach it to the pot.

Great News,:LOL: it's fixed, part arrived this morning and it's back to normal. I've no doubt it was the pesky mice that caused a short circuit on the board, but after all the advice, at least it's had a good service, so it should last OK.

Thanks all, and Fido, I think you need to get out more!

chris 76

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back