Servowarm Elite30 boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to sort-out a problem with a friends Servowarm boiler.

Here are the symptoms:-
After running for a while, the boiler stops completely - the burner is off, and so is the pilot light.
If I wait a while, the boiler can be reset and started again and it runs fine for a while, then it stops again (inc. pilot light).

I've checked that the pump is running fine and that the strange diverter valve does actually divert, so all's fine there.

To me, the issue seems simple:- the burner is not being shut-off when it should. Instead the emergency fail-safe device is cutting the gas supply.

Before I got to see the boiler, a professional plumber had been called-in and he diagnosed a failed diverter valve and a failing pump. I was unable to understand this diagnosis.

Anyway, the help I need is to identify the component I need to replace (I presume it's the little plastic box with the boiler temperature setting knob on it, as the thermo couple coils/pipes go in to it). I presume it could also be a failed thermocouple. How do I determine if the thermocouple needs replacing?

One more problem is that the pump is continually running (24/7), even when the timer has turned off the boiler. Is this normal.

I'm definitely a DIYer, so any help with part numbers and suppliers would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mark

Sponsored Links
If as You say!!! your a Diyer then why dont you walk away and let the Plumber do his job instead of interfering.

You need a heating/boiler engineer, not a plumber.
Could be the black knob thingy, but you need a RGI for that.

The plumber would have replaced the manual three-way valve, and the pump and would have charged me for it. The boiler would continue to cut-out, so I'd have wasted time and money.

Yes, a Heating Engineer would be able to solve the problem, but as we all know, they would much prefer to sell you a boiler/system, than fix the problem.

I intend to fix the problem. Just though I might be able to get some help on this forum.

Sponsored Links
So it wasnt for a friend that you asked on their behalf, it was for you all the time.

Thats what you get for coming on here trying it on.

Servowarm are a franchise,so good luck in getting spare parts

It's a common problem with a relatively cheap fix.

However I think it would be fairer of me not to tell you in the hope that one of my colleagues can sell you a new boiler and system.

And you can rest easy knowing that your preconceptions of all the professionals on here that give free help are true :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back