Servowarm reset button bypassed - safe??

dlw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
...or not?

I have a Servowarm Supreme boiler/rad (yes I know it's ancient). Neither Servowarm nor British Gas will take it on for repairs or servicing.

The pilot light has been going out every couple of weeks or so, and relighting it has been a problem. The reset button has been broken for years, but after many many attempts to relight, it sometimes comes on.

In the last week it hasn't relit at all. As a last resort (before going ahead to replace the boiler), I have simply bypassed the reset button by cutting the wires either side and tying them together. It relit at the first try.

I'm unclear whether this reset button does anything important - if it also serves as a thermostat, then I can see this is dangerous, as the boiler won't cut out when it should, so I'm slightly worried :confused:

Sponsored Links
IT IS A SAFETY DEVICE THAT STOPS YOUR BOILER MELTING OR TANKS GETTING THAT HOT THEY COLLAPSE AND KILL . SO NO YOU CANNOT DISCONNECT IT

I'm unclear whether this reset button does anything important - if it also serves as a thermostat, then I can see this is dangerous, as the boiler won't cut out when it should, so I'm slightly worried

so you should be TURN IT OFF.

Sponsored Links
ok - have done - thanks for your advice!

Not the best time to have heating problems :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back